This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Low Battery notification -cuts off mid run

Started an 11.5 mile run yesterday with battery at about 57%. At about 11 miles a low power notification appears, and the activity recording stopped. When I turn the watch back on, the power is at 25%. Why does it cut off at such a high percentage? I wouldn't like this to happen in a race. Can this be changed in settings somewhere?
  • Same thing for me. It was 5 DegC and I got the message "Battery critically low, saving activity".
    I turned it back on and the battery was at 25%, so I carried on running and started another activity for 20 minutes with no problem.
    Even later during the day at home, I carried on wearing it around the house and it was up to 45%.
    Must be the cold.... I didn't think I'd have to worry about my watch getting too cold before I do.

Forerunner 735xt
  • Look at the changelog for latest firmware for the 735xt. Do you already have it? It might resolve your problem with premature shutting down in cold temperatures.
  • Chat with Garmin using their online chat facility. He confirmed low ambient temperatures "no way, it shouldn't have an effect"

And he wanted me to factory reset the device!

Anthony has entered the session.

Nick Christie:Battery issues

Nick Christie:hi

Anthony:Hello, thanks for contacting Garmin. You're speaking to Anthony. In order to help you further, please can I grab your serial number? :-)

Nick Christie:4S8136523

Anthony:What is the software version ?

Nick Christie:I went for a run and the battery was at 60%, after 1 hour, it said the battery was critically low and the activity was being saved

Anthony:I am sorry to hear that

Nick Christie:yup. It was annoying. I carried on running, turned the device back on and was at 25%. So i started another activity and it was fine for the rest of my run (20 mins)

Anthony:Can i have the software version?

Nick Christie:Strangely, Ive worn the watch for 24 hours since my run, not changed it and it is currently at 35%

Nick Christie:9.30

Anthony:Have you reset the dveice?

Nick Christie:no

Nick Christie:what does resetting the device do? What exactly does it reset?

Anthony:The device back to factory settings, as the battery might be software related

Anthony:Forerunner 735XT - Restoring All Default Settings ( link removed )

Nick Christie:I really don't want to do that.

Nick Christie:that's losing all my courses, workouts, datascreens... etc

Nick Christie:absolute ballache

Anthony:We need you to attempt this, other than this failing we will need to look at repalcing the device but depending on when the warranty is

Nick Christie:what are the official guidelines/recommendations on using the device when ambient temperatures are low?

Anthony:There is no way, it shouldnt have an affect

Nick Christie:Good to know. There is a Forum on the Garmin website where users are speculating about this. It's a common problem
  • You're on firmware 9.30. Check out the changelog for 9.40. It contains a fix for premature shutdown in low temperatures. Instead of doing resets, just update to the latest firmware and see if it helps.
  • Same, happened today. (6:45am, Jan 25, 2021) Garmin Fenix Chronos.  Outside temp is 20F / -6C.  Watch shutdown at exactly mile 4 which an autolap notification probably fired. Started the activity with 63% battery.  After returning home, and powering the watch back on, it still had 46% battery! WTF.

Based on readings and suggestions on this forum, taking the following actions:

1. Cleaning the charging contacts on both watch and charger.
    2. Discharging the watch all the way down and recharging to 100%
    3. On the next cold run, making sure watch is 100%
    4. Looking for a way to turn off AutoLap vibration alerts

Oddly, it looks like the battery is back up to 55% at 10:10am on its own... weird. 

Former Member or any other Garmin Moderators, Support folks, please confirm.  Watch is less than 4 years old. 

• When Batteries Start Doing What you describe it's a sign that the Battery is On Its Last Legs.

4 years of frequent Charging Amounts to 730 Cycles if Charged Every 2 Days.

Average Life of a Battery is 500 Cycles.

I Suggest that you do switch off the buzzer and charge to 100% before every Activity.

If you not using Bluetooth during the Activity Switch that off as Well.

Low Temperature does tend to play Havoc With a Weak Battery.

• Thanks @JoeD     I'll give this a go, but still weary as I'm planning some 70.3 distance triathlon in June and Sept and hoping the watch will outlast me.  
    It's only happened 3 times in the last 3 months, so I'll continue to monitor it..  There's always the RMA Battery Replacement... 

Or the begrudgingly upgrading to a Fenix 5/6, which, yay, New Toy, but Booo couple hundred bucks I shouldn't have to spend after 4 years.