This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cracks on Forerunner 645 Music body

Hello garmin users,

I just wanted to highlight some issues I recently discovered on my black645M. I have it since March and had no issues till last week.

When I removed it after a run, the band detached itself and that's when I discovered that the body was cracked where the band pin inserts into the body of the watch
What's worse (if that's possible) is that after inspecting the entire body, I've found that the 3 other holes for the pin were also starting to crack.

I am very cautious with my watch that has never been shocked in any manner. I do switch bands sometimes (official garmin bands) and I'm always careful when doing so.
I don't understand how this piece can be so fragile after only 9 months of not so heavy use, I'm wearing it daily at work and I've been running with it only around 40 times (no swimming).

I've just returned it to the shop as it is still under warranty and I hope that Garmin won't make any trouble to replace it but I'm now afraid that such an expensive piece of gear may not last that long finally... My previous Vivoactive HR died after 9 months also but this time it was after a one sessions at a swimming pool so the water proofing was probably faulty that time.
I can't afford a Fenix Chronos that is full metal nor want to carry such a heavy watch, the F645M is the perfect size for me and has the functions I want in a watch...

I'm adding some pictures of the cracks so you can see what it looks like.

I've seen similar posts for other models but nothing so far for this watch. Has anyone faced that already? ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1431516.png ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1431517.jpg
  • Got mine in Dec 2018, just fell off my wrist while I was cleaning the car today - shocking...

• My Garmin 645 non music just cracked this morning.  I have had it since May.  I was shocked this happened.  Just found this thread. I have sent an email to Garmin but can’t call until they are open on Monday.  I already had to replace one of these with sticky buttons and LOVE the watch. But it should NOT break so soon!  

• My Garmin 645 non music just cracked this morning.  I have had it since May.  I was shocked this happened.  Just found this thread. I have sent an email to Garmin but can’t call until they are open on Monday.  I already had to replace one of these with sticky buttons and LOVE the watch. But it should NOT break so soon!  

• I got fast service by replying in a facebook thread advertising their watches. Someone said they were thinking about buying this watch and i said that they might want to rethink it since mine cracked after a year. Garmin told me to PM them and when i did they offered to send me a refurbished one. I got it last week and it looks brand new..i will try and find the thread from Facebook and post it here...

• I don't wear my watch daily.  I bought it in November or December 2018 and wore it for about 80 runs over a 4 month period.  I noticed cracks on mine about 3 months ago.  Finally reached out to Garmin support via chat and mentioned that my watch is showing cracks at the joints for the band and he approved my request for replacement warranty.  I didn't even need to provide photos or anything. 

I sent the watch back to them 2 days ago. They said it should take 5-8 days to get a replacement back to me after the watch has been received and processed. 

• I have the vivoactive 3 music and it has a very similar casing.  I do not wear mine everyday, super careful with it...only use it for running.  I am on my 2nd watch in a 10 month period because of the connection joints keep cracking.  This is a design flaw and I feel Garmin needs to own and remedy this problem.  They are replacing my watch with another refurb that I am sure will break as well, but I am running out of time on my warranty so this next one may not be covered.  They offer 20% off a new watch but it looks like they haven't remedied their design flaw....so it would be a huge waste of money.  Ive used Garmin for over a decade now and I am sad to say if they can't offer better support than this....it will be the last Garmin to enter our household.

• 645M at 20 Months cracked at connection. 
    Called Garmin, immediately sent refurbished with 90 day warranty (??) @ no charge.  Appreciate that. Obviously had to return damaged watch   FYI

• I bought my 645 on 11/15/18 (12 months ago) and a similar thing has happened to mine. The housing for the band attachment has now cracked and broke off TWICE. It first happened in the summer and I superglued the piece back to the watch. Believe it or not that fix has held. Then today the other side of that same top holster cracked and the band is now detached. This is very frustrating.

The first time is broke off I was putting my 4 year old son into his bed and was removing my arm from underneath him. This time it broke playing with my sons in our living room. This has to be a design flaw. It seems the plastic holsters are too weak to handle day in a and day out activities. 

• Sadly I cannot recommend this watch as it is not durable under the least strenuous circumstances.  This same issue happened to me not once but twice.  The first happened after less than 5 months and I returned it to the retailer and received a new one.  This one lasted longer but still just over a year and it's now out of warranty and will cost $110 to repair.  Obviously I will not be having it fixed.  Very disappointing.

• Happened to my watch twice! First, I thought it was a random manufactory problem and replace my watch through the dealer, but now happened again!!!!

One week before a marathon!

I am running with Garmin’s watches for 11 years and I’ve never had such a problem with their products. I am extremely disappointed and don’t know what to do now. 1 week before a marathon :(