This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FR645 Reporting Unsupported Cable

When using (obviously) charging cable my watch always reports that it's an "Unsupported Cable" - which is ludicrous as who else makes a cable that fits a FR645???

Funnily enough, the watch still does charge just fine - but it's stopped mounting/being recognised in Garmin Express on my MacBook Pro; which is really annoying.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    This message should only occur with a cable that didn't come with the Forerunner 645, such as a cable for the Forerunner 230/235/630. Do you have on of those devices and maybe the cable got mixed up?

If not, I would encourage you to reach out to our Product Support team so that we can look at this further to try and determine why this occurred.
  • This message should only occur with a cable that didn't come with the Forerunner 645, such as a cable for the Forerunner 230/235/630. Do you have on of those devices and maybe the cable got mixed up?

If not, I would encourage you to reach out to our Product Support team so that we can look at this further to try and determine why this occurred.

Oh, I was going to say no - only got the one; but just realised that I ordered a spare cable when I bought it - and it musn't be the right one, as I just swapped it out with my second cable and no error message!

Thanks for that. Though now I have to contact retail outlet ...
  • I am getting the same message since I have updated to 3.70. It is the original cable supplied with my 645M.
  • A trick to ID a 645M cable vs a fr23x/etc cable. The 645m one has the Garmin triangle on the clip. the 23x cable has "Garmin" on the clip.
  • I have seen this message several times when the cable got lose while charging in activities. And all the notification won't come after this happens... I am using a cable which came with 645.
  • Just unwrapped a FR645 Music and only have on cord...the one that came in the box. Getting the same unsupported cable error mentioned above when plugged into a wall outlet or a MAC. Garmin Connect will not recognize the watch. All attempts to use just the app says that Garmin Connect has to be used to update the software. Updated watch faces etc seem to be dependent on a new watch update. Any suggestions?
  • Just unwrapped a FR645 Music and only have on cord...the one that came in the box. Getting the same unsupported cable error mentioned above when plugged into a wall outlet or a MAC. Garmin Connect will not recognize the watch. All attempts to use just the app says that Garmin Connect has to be used to update the software. Updated watch faces etc seem to be dependent on a new watch update. Any suggestions?

I only get this message when the cable is not correctly attached to the watch. Maybe your cable is defective or the contacts on the watch are not working correctly (dirty maybe?). Have you contacted Garmin already about his?
  • Thx for the reply. Certainly not dirty since we just unwrapped it. It charges so it appears that it’s connected correctly. Get the message whether plugged into walk charger or to Mac.
  • I have had my Garmin 645 Music for over two years.  I am getting the unsupported cable error as well.  It is my only Garmin watch and the same cable that came in the box.

• I have had my Garmin 645 Music for over two years.  I am getting the unsupported cable error as well.  It is my only Garmin watch and the same cable that came in the box.