This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

My Garmin Forerunner 45 turns off when in running mode and GPS in on.

It will be active for 10 mins and then turn off. In cardio mode it might last 30 mins but then turns off. When just in normal watch mode its fine. The battery is fully charged and it turns back on OK. 

• How old is it? Mine has turned off twice this week when in GPS / running mode when battery has been at 40%

• mine is a little over 3  years old. What you are experiencing is exactly what is happening with mine. Even updating the software has not helped.

• I have exactly the same problem.  I thought the latest up date followed by a factory reset might have fixed the issue, but apparently not. Frowning2. Mine is about 2 years old now.️

• Hi, my garmin 45 is less than 2 years old and doing the same when in running mode and bleeping for a mile it just switches off.  Today I only got to nearly 3 miles over the lastc couple of weeks it has lasted to about 7 miles.  Can you help?  I have a race bext saturday and rely on it for pacing,,,,,,

• Has there been a solution to this problem? I am experiencing the same!

• Nothing from Garmin....

But I have found that turning off the lap/distance alerts has apparently resolved the issue.  

I had mine set to show distance in miles, but alert every km. Usually the alert coincided more or less with a watch crash.

I think it's that the processor in the watch isn't quite up to multiple tasks simultaneously, especially once it's been in use for a while. That theory is supported by Garmin's own suggestion of turning off the step count to resolve this.

• thank you. I will try this :) I thought maybe the battery could have some issues, because of the GPS, all the alerts etc could be too much load for its age and therefore leads to a crash. During cycling I was not able to switch on the watch again, but after an hour it would work again. Interesting was, that the activity would still be ongoing.

• I've found mine does this more often when its cold not sub zero cold but when its just cold enough so that your hands feel cold, its always when it buzzes for a mile marker, it did it this morning on an early morning run, I powered it back on and the battery was still showing green with 2 bars. I've done the same run on a warm day with the battery showing yellow and 1 bar before the run and it hasn't powered off

• I still think it's probably a processor issue rather than a battery one, if it's occurring when the watch is buzzing because of a mile marker/alert.  Especially if your battery is still showing a decent level of charge. Mine was always the same - usually >40% full still.

I'm guessing there's a possibility that the "surge" of power needed to vibrate the watch on top of high processor utilisation might just be one step too many!