This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cracked screen/ broken glass anybody?

I love and hate my Forerunner 235. On this, my second one, after I had to return the first one, I find the heart rate data ok most of the time. Syncing does seem to be highly erratic at times, and the update prompts are very annoying, particularly as you're never sure if the update will improve things, or just stop the damned thing from working (one update stopped the HRM working which led to return of first watch).

But the big problem is the cracked screen. And no, it was not accidental damage. Ok, there must have been something which caused it, but I haven't come off my watch, haven't fallen over, and would have noticed had a whacked my wrist on a wall.

Seems only too easy for Garmin to say if the screen is cracked, it's accidental damage, so not covered by warranty, so stump up £85. But it's a big face, flush so no protection whatsoever, and thin. Equally, as a sports watch, there has to be a reasonable expectation that it's being used in active environments and pursuits, so it should be designed to have enough impact resistance for 'normal' sports use.

It seems to me, that if you want a sports watch which is fit for purpose from Garmin, you probably need to buy the Fenix 3 Saphire, until they release a Saphire, or at least upgraded screen for the 235.

Please let me know if anybody else has suffered from the cracked glass.
  • Cracked mine recently, not sure where.  Maybe I clinked it on something one day, but I put a glass screen protector on it and will keep it until it dies since it works great.  Other than the screen crack.  Just waiting until a new device comes out that I want (an Instinct 2 would be on my list).  I got it in early 2016 so I feel like I've gotten a lot of use out of it!

• Mine cracked this week. Do n’t know why. I use it daily for running and cycling, in winter iceskating. Watch is 15 months old. So no swimming for me with this one. 

• my Garmin Venu is 7 weeks old and now has cracked glass despite no accidental damage.   great software and functionality on the watch...but really disappointed with the hardware

• Did you have any luck get repair or replacement?  I'm in the same situation and they have offered me a refurbished model at nearly half the price of a new watch.  I'm so disappointed, this watch is a big investment for this to happen.  I've also been really disappointed in other features, it is always troublesome with syncing. 

• I sent mine back to them and they sent me a refurbished one - and like you say it was almost half the cost of a new one. I think they have taken the mick a bit to be honest as there is clearly an issue as so many of us have experienced the same. I don’t think it’s a reasonable charge. How much really would it cost to replace such a small but if glass? Wouldn’t a small charge like £20 be more reasonable? just my thoughts on it. 

• No luck yet - looking for a Garmin victim in the USA so i (we) can pursue there. As MichelleB says - theres clearly a design issue with the watch - and charging 120 euros to replace it is outrageous

• Hi,

I purchased my watch (Forerunner 745) a few months ago. Everything was going fine until I noticed a crack in the glass. From one side to the other. I don't understand how this could have happened. I wear it all the time and did not do anything rough. Besides, the glass should be very strong material and isn't supposed to crack easily.

I had the same explanation from Garmin, no warranty-claim possible. Only an offer to change and pay for a refurbished model of the same kind.

Very disappointing.

• If you are a united states resident, we can file a class action lawsuit against garmin. Ive spoken with a lawyer who has been succesful against garmin before

• Kind thanks, but I'm an EU-citizen :-)

• A few weeks after buying a forerunner 245 I got out of the pool a little fast and my watch hit the diving board. I felt that the shock had been hard. The result was a nice crack that was clearly visible in the light. But on the other hand I took the risk of continuing to swim with it in the pool and so far I have no problems.