This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Has anyone tried swimming with the FR235?

I am in the process of trying to convert a non-believer to the FR235 :rolleyes: (vs. Tomtom Spark - based on price; not a bad watch per se). She is curious as to whether it would be possible to swim with this watch on and gather any data. I own an FR235 myself, but I don't swim at all, and so I was not able to tell her anything about swimming with the FR235.

Given the water resistance of the watch, it seems that swimming with this watch would theoretically be possible. Theory aside, has anyone actually done a swim with this watch on? If so, how were the results?
  • I am in the process of trying to convert a non-believer to the FR235 :rolleyes: (vs. Tomtom Spark - based on price; not a bad watch per se). She is curious as to whether it would be possible to swim with this watch on and gather any data. I own an FR235 myself, but I don't swim at all, and so I was not able to tell her anything about swimming with the FR235.

Given the water resistance of the watch, it seems that swimming with this watch would theoretically be possible. Theory aside, has anyone actually done a swim with this watch on? If so, how were the results?

About the only thing she could do would use the "other" workout and track her HR. I think there are other Garmin watches that do more with swimming.
  • As runningnoob said there are other Garmin watches (Fenix, vivocative etc) that will provide better data than the 235 in terms of swimming dynamics. In 'Other' mode you'll basically get HR data, time data and calorie count and that'll be about it. Maybe GPS tracking if swimming outdoors. If your friend wants it primarily for swimming analytics, then this is not the watch for her. If she runs and would like crappy (at the moment) all day activity tracking then this could be an option.

I use it for running indoors and outdoors. For all other activities such as weight training, tennis etc, I use the other function just to track HR and calories and the data is somewhat useful for me to track progress etc.

In terms of water resistance, the watch is rated to 5ATM which equates to about 50meters. I wouldn't image you'd have any issue with basic swimming. I regularly shower and have submerged the watch many times without an issue. If there ever was an issue, Garmin would be 100% responsible given their own water resistance rating they've given the device.

Hope that helps...
  • If you are into swimming and want HR then the "best" method is the HRM-Swim strap and a compatible device like a 920 or Fenix 3.

I've not tried swimming with a 235 yet. I'll give it a go next time I do. Having done so with a 620, I would be 99% sure you wan't "drown" it but of course it won't track your distance. Whether you will get any meaningful HR data not sure. When I tried with another optical HR device (Mio Link - next to 620) it picked up "something" but having tried the HRM-Swim I don't think it was particularly accurate.
  • I'm going to give it a go next time i'm in the pool, hopefully this coming week. I'll report back with links.
  • I have swam several times with my fr235. I use "other" to record the activity. The fr235 is only good for recording the activity time, the HR is usually all over the place and not reliable....as others have mentioned, this is a running watch but you can swim with it if you want too but I would not buy it as a swimming device.
  • Well, I tried today knowing it this model is not made for swimming monitoring (first use of the watch I bought recently) : 1000m Breaststroke.

What do you guys think of the quality of this recording (knowing I do ministops every 25m for turning)?

I was quite happy it worked : )

• I do a weekly indoor swimming and since I have my FR235, I use it. But as said above, it´s not really suitable for recording (indoor) swimming. Yes, it measures the time, but I often experience the so callled "cadans-lock". More often and longer than with running. I think you really have to put it on very tight.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1039858987

PS: above is recorded pretty well, but most of the times the real HR picks up after 20-30 minutes.

water resistance is very good. I also use a turkish steambath (45 degrees with a 100% humidity) after swimming with my fr235 on. Never suffered from any condensation.
  • I have a colleague who have a forerunner 235 and He uses it for swim with a garmin app called pool swim that works with the compass in a pool, it works like a charm.
    Also he had dramatically improved the in water heart measure with a home-made silicone seal around the wrist sensor, between the watch and the wrist.

This is the seal ( He is trying to improve the design )

ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1249738.jpg
  • Hello,
    how about swimming outdoors, in open waters.
    I tried past days and feel distance measurement is inaccurate when watch is in wrist.
    The only way to have good distance measurement was with watch in glasses strap.
    Any comment apart this is not a watch designed for swimming.