This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Rubber cover for Edge 1000 power switch

I need to source a power button for my Edge 1000.
Previous posts have suggested buying a back cover, but the only ones I can find on eBay do not come with the rubber cover for the on/off switch. There are buttons/covers being advertised from Netherlands and USA, but the price is excessive.
I'm not keen on DIY fixes, or non-genuine 3D printed items.
Given this appears to be a common porblem with the Edge 1000, can I buy direct from Garmin?
Or is anyone aware of a source in the UK?

• I'm not aware of any sources in the UK, looks like you have looked into it so your only options are what you have already stated.

• Ask Garmin to send you one.

• It will take a while at the moment with Covid postal disruptions but back covers are available on AliExpress, $20 free shipping. Not entirely sure how it wouldn't include the button, it's molded into the back cover as one unit.

his is indeed a common problem, it has happened to me on every Garmin I've owned including the Edge 1000 twice. I used send the whole thing back to Garmin for the paid replacement but most recently I got a third party back cover repair for $25.

• Thanks. Any idea how? I would have thought they would read these Forums and answer... I have emailed Garmin, so far with no response.

• Thanks. If Garmin don't respond, I'll follow this line. Looks like you are in the USA, so maybe we don't get the same opportunities here in the UK

• Thanks. I'm genuinely surprised they are not available from Garmin, especially given that it is a common and well known problem.

• I'm In Asia. AliExpress delivers worldwide though. The original Edge 1000 I have this issue with I bought in the UK though and I have got units fixed through Garmin UK before.

These are the contact details (from my last contact with them over this which was years ago, I have dealt with Garmin in Taiwan subsequently):

PO Box 392 | Southampton | SO40 0FW | UK

T: 0808 238 0000 | F: +44 (0)23 8052 4004 | www.garmin.co.uk

Registered office: Liberty House, Hounsdown Business Park , Southampton , SO40 9LR , UK . Registration no. 2724437 VAT Reg. No. GB568 6978 58

Phone (free phone from UK landline): 0808 238 0000 
    Phone (within UK): 0870 850 1242
    Phone (outside UK): +44 870 850 1242

Contact them for a quote but I'd guess it will probably be around £100-120.

• And email: 

[email protected]

If you go with Garmin, it's quite a large charge but they replace the entire unit with a refurbished one. You can give them a unit with any amount of damage, I have given them one that was completely physically smashed up from a mountain bike crash onto a hard jaggy rock and they will replace it for the fixed fee per unit- and you get a new/refurb unit. So it's a good deal if your unit is wrecked badly, it's substantially cheaper then buying a new one. 

If it's something really minor like just the button though, you might be better off trying a third party repair, as that part is not too expensive. You can get it on eBay either. Or I believe in the UK there are third party repair services that may be cheaper than a full Garmin replacement for something small like that.

One thing to bear in mind, the guy who did my repair did say he didn't reckon he had the waterproofing back right after the repair, and that he couldn't guarantee that. And it did fail subsequently from water damage after I had it out in a real downpour. But I got another year use out of it. A refurb from Garmin should have the waterproofing intact.

• Thanks for your trouble. I did finally manage to get hold of Garmin UK, and frankly the response was derisory. They either cannot or will not repair or refurbish. The best they would offer is 30% off a new unit and I have to return the old unit first. That is poor - I can buy new and sell mine on eBay for better than that.
    I have ordered a rubber button from China, and will see how that goes.
    Frankly, I am annoyed. It seems that they can do as they please - they have a dominant market position and can afford to alienate customers like me - who would previously have recommended them. Now, I'm telling my friends to go to the opposition, who offer somewhat better customer service - this is from owners of those other products.

• Good to know I'm not the only one who had such response...it happened on my first edge 1000 and yesterday the button popped off on my second one, poor service, especially when it seems to be such a common fault.  Switch to Wahoo?