This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bluetooth connection problems after FW 9.00

Hi,
Just to mention the huge difficulties to re-pair my Edge Explore 820 to iPhone 7 after the new FW update 9.00.
I tried to delete device from iPhone, delete iPhone from the device, re-pair, reset device, reset iPhone, ... and I get it connected to the iPhone easily, BUT in Garmin Connect Mobile (versión 4.6), it keeps on showing the message "attention is needed" under the device name, like if a last step of the process was missing.
I have read also pairing difficulties in other Edge forums linked to this new FW update (9.00).
I tried to download again the Garmin Connect Mobile App, but it does not solve the problem. I can pair other Garmin devices with no issue.
If anyone experienced the same or knows any solution, would be appreciated.
Thanks
  • Exactly as my case, also with Fénix 3.
    I donot think we can expect a solution short term; my recommendation is to downgrade. See comments and link to download the file 8.70 in Edge 820 forum.

Hi, will check it out.

Thanks,
    Barry
  • I solved it (as I expected) by downgrading into FW 8.70. Pairing was easy with no issue at all.
    You can find better instructions somewhere else, but if it can be useful, this was my detailed process:
    - Prevent Garmin Express to start automatically once you plug the device (In Garmin Express configuration) to avoid it upgrades automatically again to the newest versión when you plug the device in the compupter again. I do not know if this is strictly needed, but just in case.
    - Download the 8.70 firmware from this page http://gawisp.com/perry/edge/ Search for folder "Edge 820_871Beta.zip"
    - In this folder you can see the file GUPDATE-870.GCD
    - Copy this file into the GARMIN directory of your device, and RENAME it into GUPDATE.GCD
    - Unplug the device from the PC.
    Automatically it will start updating the FW into 8.70 deleting your configuration (not the rides or courses, but your personal screens, totals and so on)
    Follow the steps (you will be asked to set units, language, etc) and you can pair sensors and phone. (or do it after if you prefer)
    If you want to save the configuration (screens and so on), save the fit files (locations, settings, records, totals,...) you can find before the downgrade in the folders SETTINGS, SPORTS, TOTALS, RECORDS,…and once the new FW is implemented, plug the device again into the PC and copy all those files into the folder NEWFILES.
    Unplug it and the device will move the files into the right folders automatically.
    Hope it Works, at least until there is a more reliable FW
  • I solved it (as I expected) by downgrading into FW 8.70. Pairing was easy with no issue at all.
    You can find better instructions somewhere else, but if it can be useful, this was my detail process:
    - Prevent Garmin Express to start automatically once you plug the device (In Garmin Express configuration) to avoid it upgrades automatically again to the newest versión when you plug the device in the compupter again. I do not know if this is strictly needed, but just in case.

Well done , please can you send the link to download FW 8.70

Kind Regards,
    Barry
    You can find better instructions somewhere else, but if it can be useful, this was my detailed process:
    - Download the 8.70 firmware from this page http://gawisp.com/perry/edge/ Search for folder "Edge 820_871Beta.zip"
    - Copy this file into the GARMIN directory of your device, and RENAME it into GUPDATE.GCD
    Automatically it will start updating the FW into 8.70 deleting your configuration (not the rides or courses, but your personal screens, totals and so on)
    Follow the steps (you will be asked to set units, language, etc) and you can pair sensors and phone. (or do it after if you prefer)
    If you want to save the configuration (screens and so on), save the fit files (locations, settings, records, totals,...) you can find before the downgrade in the folders SETTINGS, SPORTS, TOTALS, RECORDS,…and once the new FW is implemented, plug the device again into the PC and copy all those files into the folder NEWFILES.
    Unplug it and the device will move the files into the right folders automatically.

Great work!! ... Thanks for sharing your experience!!

I will do the same, wish me luck ...

Regards,
    Robert.

Thanks for the link and instructions :-)

• You are welcome. Hope it works.
    I got confirmation from Technical Service that bluetooth pairing 9.00 does not work with iphones. (they claim with Android it is not the case). For me it is a good step ahead; if they acknowledge the problem, the solution will come sooner or later. Until then, 8.70 works flawlessly for me.
  • You are welcome. Hope it works.
    I got confirmation from Technical Service that bluetooth pairing 9.00 does not work with iphones. (they claim with Android it is not the case). For me it is a good step ahead; if they acknowledge the problem, the solution will come sooner or later. Until then, 8.70 works flawlessly for me.

In my case I have a phone Motorola X XT1097 with Android 6.0. The issue that I have is the desconnection of the device to the phone randomly. Mostly reconnect rapidly, but in other cases take a long time, or I need to reset de device Edge. This happens several times while I riding.

The Garmin support insist that try a prove with other phone, but I don't have other to try it.

Hope it's help,
    Regards.
  • I have experienced the exact same thing. I did a chat with support and they indicated there have been other reports. I did the update the same way I always have, after receiving the notification on the device. I did NOT use Garmin Express for the update, just the connection through the phone. One thing of note is that on the 820 it indicates that Connect 4.5 or newer is required. I already have 4.6. Not sure if this is the Garmin software update, or an issue with Garmin Connect on the iPhone.
  • For what it's worth - one more report here.

Garmin Edge Explore 820, now upgraded to Firmware 9.0 via Garmin Express on a Windows 10 PC. On IPhone 6S with IOS 11.3.1, and latest Garmin Connect Mobile App. Edge pairs with the phone ok, but is shown as not paired (with an ! "Pairing not complete") in the app. Tried all the recipes above, including deleting the app and reinstalling it - just cannot get it to work again.

Super annoying, as it means that I cannot upload my rides any more until this is fixed - is there any other way of uploading rides to Garmin Connect or to Strava if bluetooth is not working?
  • You can do it manually in Garmin Connect. In the screen of activities, you can choose "upload manual activity" and the activity file can be found in the "ACTIVITIES" folder of your device