slow turn-by-turn maps indication

Hi, 

I have a Garmin Edge 820 which I bought second hand a few months back. I am pretty happy with the device, but course navigation is a pain. I usually export routes from Strava and my Garmin often skips turns, telling me I should turn left in 5km when there's a right turn in 400m. Yesterday I tried to enable map-based directions, but this wasn't any better. Whenever it tried to display the map to alert me of a turn, rendering would take so long that most of the time the map wasn't visible before the turn itself. 

Do you have any idea as to what could be causing these problems?

Thanks

Dave

• My first suggestion, if you haven't yet, is to do a factory reset, then use the Garmin Express app to make sure the firmware and maps are up to date.  A map update can take a fairly long time to download to the device and then the initial boot up of the device afterward can be quite slow. 

I'll add that after new map is loaded, I'll sometimes find rendering of the map can be slow when I ride to a new area on that map. It's as if it needs to process that area of the file or something.  The next time, it's fine.

• You can reset the GPS by powering off and then turning on the device again. Maybe cause of your GPS signal issues.              heardle 80s

• I've power cycled the device several times, and it happens whenever I use the course feature. 

• yep, I am pretty sure I have the latest software, at least according to garmin connect. 

• Hi Dave,

It sounds like the slow turn-by-turn navigation and map rendering issues on your Garmin Edge 820 could be related to a few factors, including outdated maps, firmware, or possibly even hardware limitations due to the device's age. First, ensure your device's firmware is up to date through the Garmin Express application. Also, check if the maps are the latest version. Y9 If those aspects are updated and the problem persists, consider reducing the complexity of the routes from Strava or optimizing them for better performance on the Edge 820. Sometimes, too many waypoints or a very detailed route can strain the device's processing capabilities. Lastly, a factory reset could help if software glitches are causing the issue, but remember to back up your data first. 

Hope this helps!