This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 820 touchscreen misaligned and inverted after 12.70 update

After updating to version 12.70, the screen started to behave erratically, even after a factory reset. After some tests I found that the screen is shifted down and to the left, in addition to being mirrored vertically.

I tried all possible procedures on the internet, including several resets. The strangest thing is that the unit no longer recognizes the GUPDATE.GCD file, which prevents me from doing a version downgrade. I've tried deleting all the files, changing the GarminDevice.xml, but it seems the ROM rebuilds everything every boot.

During the update to version 12.70, I saw on the screen that some touchscreen related files were updated. Before the update, the device worked normally.

I don't know what else to do, given that the unit is stuck in the language setting screen, and I can't click the OK button. I even tried connecting a mouse and keyboard to usb with an adapter, but to no avail (desperate attempt, zero chance of success).

My last few attempts have been around looking for some service software that would allow changing settings or writing firmware manually. The service menu (accessed when turning on the device with the "Start/Stop" button pressed) shows several things, but does not allow you to do anything.

• This is one of the points that caught my attention during the research. During the update to 12.70, I saw on the screen information about a touchscreen update. It certainly has connection with this file and the problem.

I saw similar solutions in some posts, with a file placed inside the remoteSW folder. I'm looking for posts that still have the shared file, but it's hard.

Thank you for the tip. I will put more effort into this path. And reading my last reply to you, I apologize for sounding ironic. Dealing with these things has its ups and downs of mood.

• I found the file!!!! (No thanks to Garmin, with terrible customer service... they didn't even try, denying even the existence of people with the same problem in the past).

I followed the instructions and.... nothing happened... :( Anyway, thanks for the tip

It looks like I do need some way to get through the initial setup, even without the screen. More and more it seems to be the only way for the unit to read GCD files. I accept suggestions... I haven't found anyone who has been successful at this point.

In another post someone commented on the possibility of copying hidden files from a working unit to this one, bypassing the configuration tutorial. However, even with attempts, I did not find where these hidden files could be.

• HI,

I still have the file I was sent and could send it to you. I've no idea if it would be correct for your device or if it has been updated since it was sent to me. 

• Indeed, perhaps the files I found are not appropriate to this unit or hardware version.

If you can send it that would be great! Is there any way to send me through here or create a sharing link from something like Dropbox or GoogleDrive?

• did you ever change the screen? because in another topic another user reported the same problem after changing the screen.

Touchscreen Replacement & Firmware Update- Issue - Edge 820 - Cycling - Garmin Forums

• Olá MMXAVIER algum avanço?

• I've been trying everything this weekend. I got all GCD files up to version 12.40 and I was not able to downgrade.

I put the GCD file in the Garmin folder and nothing happens.

I also put the 006B255000.cdf file in the RemoteSW folder, with that it appears the message "Updating Software Screen" but nothing happens, it is frozen at 0%.

Any tip?

• Answering and at the same time. 

I spent a few days researching the problem and trying things.In all my attempts, I got the same results, except for the "Updating Software Screen" warning. I also have a version of this file, but nothing happened. Could you share this version of 006B255000.cdf file?

After everything I've read, talked about and tried, I'm thinking of following some possible paths:

1- Open the device and check the behavior by turning on the unit with touchscreen, without touch, etc. In short, do some experiments. There's not much to plan or expect in this action, it's just going to be changing something and observing the behavior.

2- I gave up the path of trying something with the software. I can't see ways to solve it this way without some firmware burning software and direct access to the motherboard, in addition to specific files that bypass the boot and configuration process. The unit simply rejects any files without going through the initial setup first. I'd go back down that path if something new comes along, like custom files or Garmin's in-house service software.

3- Buy a new screen on Aliexpress. The cost of a new screen is about $45, not high enough to discourage giving it a try. Reading the reports from another post, the update causes the problem, but if it is not done after a screen change, everything is fine. Since this firmware is the latest one, we shouldn't have any more problems if this theory is right (Source: forums.garmin.com/.../touchscreen-replacement-firmware- update--issue#pifragment-1290=1).

4- Finally, and perhaps the least laborious way, take the device to a repair service. The issue with this option is the price: nearly $200 for a Garmin-authorized service. And not much less anywhere else. This is much more than the price I paid for the unit. Despite this, this would be the most guaranteed way to solve the problem, as they would have resources for testing and other things. Buying a new screen is a gamble on the information that has been gathered so far.

• Here are all the steps I executed in an attempt to revive my Garmin. It seems like there may be a factory lock in place on the latest version that prevents downgrading.

1. I initially tried the basics by replacing the gupdate.gcd file in the GARMIN folder with various older versions below 12.70. Unfortunately, nothing happened when the file was saved in the folder.

2. I attempted to change the firmware version within the GarminDevice.xml file to match the gupdate.gcd file. However, nothing happened, and the GarminDevice.xml file reverted back to its factory defaults.

3. I came across references to the problem on other websites, and some of them suggested downloading the 006B255000.gcd file and saving it in the remoteSW folder to update the screen software. I followed the procedure, but again, nothing happened.

4. Another attempt was made to modify the screen software version within the GarminDevice.xml file to match the 006B255000.gcd file. I changed the line from 006B320000.GCD to 006B255000:

<UpdateFile>
    <PartNumber>006-B3200-00</PartNumber>
    <Version>
    <Major>86</Major>
    <Minor>3</Minor>
    </Version>
    <Path>Garmin/RemoteSW</Path>
    <FileName>006B320000.GCD</FileName>
    </UpdateFile>
    <UpdateFile>

However, upon restarting the device, I received the "update failed" message. Additionally, when accessing the diagnostic screen (Test mode), the software update process got stuck at 0%. Unfortunately, nothing changed, and the GarminDevice.xml file returned to its factory defaults.

1. I also attempted to format the device via USB, but this approach did not yield any success.

2. I tried downloading the Garmin WebUpdater and using the command line to install the gupdate.gcd file. Unfortunately, this method also proved unsuccessful.

3. any other crazy combination of manipulating the gcd files in the hope that something would work.

4. I also read about the Garmin Firmware Tools - GitHub - mbirth/gcd-parser: Python parser and tools for GCD and RGN firmware files.- which is a tool that can manipulate the gcd file and rebuild with a different version. For example, I can take the GCD from version 12.40 and rebuild it as if it were version 12.70. However, it didnt worked.

Do you remenber what version your 820 was before the update?

here are all the files I used: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qsKsFrRbPw5mbI62eEl1XcJzqa5oH0YN?usp=sharing