This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Loading Course on Edge 820 Very Slow

Hello all. I can see several threads on this, but not sure I have spotted a conclusion.

Loading a course, created in Garmin Connect onto my Edge 820 took 22 mins for a 17 mile ride.

Is this the speed expected ? Is there a workaround for t his (apart from load up the course whilst I get ready)

Thanks in advance

Jacqui

• Jacqui,

Was the information on settings useful?

Nick

• Since upgrading to latest 12.5 firmware course calculation now takes 25min or more.  Course created on GC and using a 'FIT' file.  My partner has exactly the same device but has not upgraded to the latest firmware and load time is normal at 2-3 min.  Don't upgrade!

• I suggest following looigi's instructions to downgrade to 11.20. This made my 820 fast again & reduced battery use on guided rides. This involves several steps...

After the downgrade a restart will involve reconnecting to wifi, then the latest firmware will download - hit the X when asked if you want to upgrade. From now on boot up should be very fast, ride upload fast, operations more sprightly etc. Worked brilliantly.

• Thanks Nick

I have 95% of your settings, changes a couple, downloaded a new TCX and is still taking an age. I am also using the same versions as you. 

Going to try different file extensions next 

• Jacqui,

I’m sorry that didn’t work. I did a 100+ mile ride on Wednesday and the rout loaded in a minute or so and was available from the start. A 70+ mile route yesterday was similar. It must either be your route or device. If yo like you can send me your route and I’ll try it on my device. That will indicate which one is the problem. 
    Nick

• Hi Nick - thanks for persevering with me. I can't seem to be able to send an attachment in this post 

• If you go to insert You can upload a file. Frown the drop down select file 

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1179163

You can down load this one or one from here in TCX and see how long it takes to load.

Nick

• https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1184212?units=miles

Hi Nick - Thanks  - can you see if you can down load this one ?

Jacqui

• Yours took my device 48 seconds to calculate !

My ride above took 5 mins 34 seconds

I do notice that your route has directions and turn warnings, where as mine doesn't ?

This was a ride I did and then saved as a route as I liked it so not created from a planner or anything 

• Well that is interesting. At least you can see that I wasn't kidding when I said that mine is quite fast.

I have a suggestion for you.

1) Up load your route in to https://www.plotaroute.com/

2) Edit your route. All you need to do is "Reduce Points". Reduce them to about 1000. 

3) Save your route.

4) try loading the saved route.

When you save a ride you have ridden you will have a point every few seconds. To navigate the route you need very few points. You don't need to have a point every few yards on a straight road for instance. The route you uploaded of mine was probably less than 1000 points and 100 miles. My 820 navigated it with no problem giving me turn by turn.

You can sign up to plotaroute to do this for free. I don't pay and use it for all my routes. 

Best of luck and let me know how you get on,

Nick