This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

820 stuck loading maps after 12.10 update

I've just upgraded to the 12.10 edge 820 release, it appeared to install successful but after rebooting it can not get past the loading maps screen, what looks like a couple of horizontal pulsing dots in the background.  I have the full Garmin UK maps as well as full UK OSM via a supp .img file, there's 4GB of available space.

I tried soft then hard resets with no luck, in the end i've mounted the unit as storage by holding down the lap button whilst connected to my computer, I'm in the slow process of reinstalling the Garmin map via express to see if that will help.

• You were lucky! :-) 

• Same problem with my 820 after upgrade. Stuck on ‘loading maps’

• OK. After 1/2 hour resetting the device many times etc....It just works.

BUT all settings are gone....

• After a whole night on the loading screen ( with external power ), this morning, everything looks fine.

i ll test it on a ride this morning.

• Hello, the update include an update of the maps, you just have to wait the first time that the maps install in your EDGE 820 garmin, it takes 2-3 hours, you don't need to reboot or reset

• There seems to be more problems with this update besides getting stuck or freeze frame in de home screen. 1, Connections to satellites are lost, 2, Unable to connect with Wifi... This update is really f#cked up. Please Garmin fix these problems!

• The problem is that my edge 820 stay in "Loading Maps" for around 15 minutes and then switch off even if the battery is 100% full. This update is really a mess. I need my Garmin almost every day so what's the solution Garmin???

• The two-steps solution of guy also works for me. After that I noticed that the update has activated all the maps in my device. With only a  couple of them activated, the maps loading screen goes now to the home screen as fast as before the update

• Just done the upgrade, the 820 did spend about 2 mins on the pulsing dots loading maps screen then went to the regular home screen. 

• My 820 took 5-10 minutes to load the maps and return to the home screen after installing the 12.10 update from v. 11.20.  I was connected directly to my PC rather than wirelessly to the Internet.  I don't know if that made any difference.  But I was glad to have read the reviews first.  Patience paid off for me.  Seems like new version updates have surprises.  I hope my Live Track works okay.  I never know whether Auto Start will work or not after an update and force me to manually start.  Version 11.20 or the latest Garmin Connect app required me to connect one of the two Garmin Bluetooth links in my iPhone settings that was always off when I first powered up my 820.