This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sensors drop during a ride

Hi guys,

In my last ride I got a drop just at the end of the activity. Suddenly every sensors disconected: stages powermeter, garmin HR belt, garmin speed sensor and also my Nexus 6 phone. It won't connect again until the end of the ride. Power off and on and everything connect again fast.

Link to the activity https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/894020511

I reported to garmin support by email. It was my 6th ride with edge 520 and the first issue
  • Repeatable sensor drop.

It seems that my sensors on the 520 consistently drops when I have my Fenix3 connecting via bluetooth at the same time. Somehow the Fenix3 stays connected to all the sensors, but the 520 goes away (dropping power/cadence, HRM, speed sensor and bluetooth).

I was able to repeat this during a support call with Garmin today.

1. Edge 520 connected to all sensors.
    2. Turn on Fenix3's bluetooth.
    3. When Fenix's bluetooth connects, all sensors for 520 goes away.

When I turn off bluetooth on the Fenix, the 520 connects back again. I'm using an iPhone 5s running iOS 9.0.1. Happened running iOS 9.0 as well.

Could some of you also have another Garmin or bluetooth device that could be interfering?

I was also told by the support rep that there are known issues with the HRM Run and 520. I've dug up an old non-run HRM to use with my 520 for now.

My workaround is to not use my Fenix3 at the same time as the 520.

Art
  • I know that iOS 9 has a new Bluetooth implementation as it has totally trashed my Tacx turbo trainer. For those of you having regular issues, are you all using iOS 9? Do the sensors still drop with Bluetooth turned off on the 520?
  • I know that iOS 9 has a new Bluetooth implementation as it has totally trashed my Tacx turbo trainer. For those of you having regular issues, are you all using iOS 9? Do the sensors still drop with Bluetooth turned off on the 520?

My sensors work great when BT is disabled.
  • Some issue here: iPhone 6 running iOS 9. BT & sensors dropped during ride, while using the Strava Segment implementation. Power cycle was the only way to get everything working. I have about 7 rides on the unit, and I've had this happen twice. Very annoying. Got the 520 because I was fed up with the 510 never properly synching!
  • Same problem here. 520 drops connection to powermeter (Vector) and HRM-run belt (which isn´t accurate anyways). I´m using Fenix 3 and iPhone 6 with iOS 9 at the same time. Hopefully Garmin works solution with this combo. Device it self is really solid and map is really good add compared to 510.
  • Same problem

Same problem here. And same workaround.
    Edge 520 drops on every ride all sensors (HR, Cadence and Remote). Restart reconnects the senors. Bluetooth connect to iPhone (with iOS 8 and 9 no difference in this regard)
    Disabling of bluetooth in 520 settings prevents it from loosing the sensors.
  • Same problem - Edge 520 loses all sensors mid ride

iPhone 5s then 6s connected via Bluetooth, both running iOS9.
    In only 5 rides on the device, 2 rides the sensors have dropped completely, phone too. Once ride it happened twice.
  • Anyone checked if this keeps happening in FW3?
  • Worked okay today with FW3

Anyone checked if this keeps happening in FW3?

Everything worked okay today. Was using a new Varia rear sensor, Cadence and HR and no dropouts. Very Good.
  • Everything worked okay today. Was using a new Varia rear sensor, Cadence and HR and no dropouts. Very Good.

Same experience today, 4 hour ride with everything connected and a bluetooth head unit too. No dropouts, great fix in this FW