This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sensors drop during a ride

Hi guys,

In my last ride I got a drop just at the end of the activity. Suddenly every sensors disconected: stages powermeter, garmin HR belt, garmin speed sensor and also my Nexus 6 phone. It won't connect again until the end of the ride. Power off and on and everything connect again fast.

Link to the activity https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/894020511

I reported to garmin support by email. It was my 6th ride with edge 520 and the first issue
  • it sounds like you encountered RF interference, not that anything happened to your garmin. there are a few spots around here that cause my sensors to no longer be displayed by the garmin, but it's always the same geographical location.
  • well, hell.....I'm pretty much about to give up on my 510 in favor of a 520 because it continues to do this. Yes, sometimes, I can re-boot (and sometimes after sequencing off/on for ANT+ devices & multiple cycles of everything) and it may work, but ultimately, my time is limited & I'm usually training & NOT out to spend some time riding a bike while fiddling with a faulty piece of electronics..and, there are many rides where this type of attention to the Garmin is really impossible or at least highly unsafe in a group.
  • same goes for me...

I just experienced the same drop out for me... about an 1:11:00 into a 90 min trainer workout today, an alert tone beeped letting me know the Edge 520 lost phone connection. Shortly there after, all sensor data went blank: Power, HR, Speed, and Cadence. Oddly enough, within about 30-45 seconds everything connected and came back on line. Charts in GC definitely show the dropout, assuming the fit file does too.

I was indoors, GPS off. And since I wasnt actually moving, I'm ruling out power lines, etc. ;)

Screen shot of HR Chart attached

• Sensor dropout on 520

I've been riding with an Edge 520 all week and have noticed regularly that when I look down I have 0 watts being displayed. Today I compared a section where I was doing a constant wattage with the same section I rode last week.

Garmin 510 - I have circled in blue where I stopped/slowed for a red light, which has a corresponding drop in power and cadence. I use GPS for speed

Garmin 520 - I have circled in blue the sensor drops that show zero power/cadence. n.b no corresponding drop/change in speed. I was still turning the cranks and applying force to the pedals.

Same section of road, same bike, same power meter.

Interestingly enough, I observed the sdame sensor drops yesterday on my TT bike, which has a different power meter.
  • sensor issue - variation on same theme

my HR monitor is solid, but the cadence sensor requires re-paring for every ride. connecting sometimes takes multiple tries, or removal completely nd re-installing from scratch....every ride. very annoying. I've tested with my old 500 alongside the 520 and never had any issue with the sensor recognition... so certainly a 520 software or hardware bug
  • Same happened to me today

Had the unit out for a while and has worked perfect. Today at some point in a ride, I noticed my power meter, phone and HRM-tri were not connected. While riding turned the unit off and on. No data was lost, and the sensors picked up and the unit worked fine. It was a 3 1/2 hour ride so missing 2 minutes of HR, power and cadence, not a huge deal. Was happy to see that when I turn unit off it automatically pauses. Good to know for long lunch stops on day long rides.
  • I was very happy to see that the system pauses/resumes the current ride across a power cycle as well. It's almost as if the firmware engineers designed that feature on purpose to recover the ride when you're power cycling the device to reconnect all the sensors. Now if only the device would notice the sensors have all disconnected and then do this automatically. :-)

Regards,
    Ian

Had the unit out for a while and has worked perfect. Today at some point in a ride, I noticed my power meter, phone and HRM-tri were not connected. While riding turned the unit off and on. No data was lost, and the sensors picked up and the unit worked fine. It was a 3 1/2 hour ride so missing 2 minutes of HR, power and cadence, not a huge deal. Was happy to see that when I turn unit off it automatically pauses. Good to know for long lunch stops on day long rides.
  • I was very happy to see that the system pauses/resumes the current ride across a power cycle as well. It's almost as if the firmware engineers designed that feature on purpose to recover the ride when you're power cycling the device to reconnect all the sensors. Now if only the device would notice the sensors have all disconnected and then do this automatically. :-)

Regards,
    Ian

I'm agree
  • I like that feature as well. I get paranoid on day long rides where I stop for 20 minutes for lunch. Usually I save the ride and start a new ride (I would always have issues with my 510). Good to know I can pause and turn the unit off then turn back on.

I confirmed that my 920xt does same thing. Pause, turn off, start activity back up and nothing is lost. Great feature.
  • at about 90 minutes inside an activity, my 520 lost phone and HR monitor connections.. it did not recover until i power cycled it after the ride......