This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 520 - Livetrack has no data

The last couple of rides, my Livetrack feed has had no data.  When I start the ride, I get the "Livetrack Started" message on my 520, my wife gets the email link and all that, but there is no data coming in at all (she gets some sort of "no location data" type of error).

When I stop the ride, I get a  message saying that LIvetrack has ended but it seems to not actually close the stream.  I end up having to stop the livetrack on my cellphone (Samsung s9).  Nothing has changed on the phone or GPS in months.

The activity file in Garment Connect has all the data and looks normal, the livetrack map is just a map of the general area with no data or tracking on it at all.

Any ideas?

• It did it on a ride today.   They need to fix this ASAP!

• This is the exact problem both me and the wife are suffering and it is over various devices.

I'm currently at work on my desktop my wife has just set off on a ride.  Email has arrived saying to watch activity, I click the button to watch and get a map of where we live and a yellow box saying No signal.  Trying to reconnect.  This is on my desktop PC.

I then the same on my Samsung S10 phone and get exactly the same result.

My wife gets exactly the same result when trying to track my rides.  She tries to track me on Samsung S10 and a Samsung Tablet with the same result on both.

This is the first time I've reported this but it has been happening for weeks.  My device is an Edge 530 and wife uses a Edge 520.

The wife has been telling me that live track hasn't worked properly for months but as it was me riding it didn't really bother me.  Now with the summer weather, the wife is getting out more and as she often needs assistance i.e. mechanical or puncture repair, it is important to me that I can track her.

Have Garmin any idea when this will be fixed?

• The problem is in the interaction between your 520/530 unit and mobile phone app (Garmin Connect 4.30) which you pair with it during rides.  The hardware being used by the "watcher" is not part of the equation.  It appears that all of the users here with problems are pairing with Android phones, and have not seen any reports of GPS units other than Edge 520/530 reporting this issue.

One user above notes that Garmin has recognized the issue in an email, and is working on a version update (4.31) which will theoretically address the live track problems "in the next few weeks"

Another solution is to roll back your Garmin Connect software version using a site called APKMirror that retains old software versions of android apps.  Scroll up to find detailed instructions for switching back to Garmin Connect 4.29.  That's what I'm in process of doing right now.

• That did it.  Live track functional again.  It took me a while to understand all the right steps, so will repeat/summarize for others not familiar with the rollback process:

1. Uninstall Garmin Connect from phone

2. Install APKMirror Installer (official) app from Google Play store.

3. Search for and download Garmin Connect version 4.29 in APKMIrror app.

4. Install packet from APKMirror Installer app.

5. In Google Play app disable auto app upgrades (applies to ALL apps on phone)

6.  Open Garmin Connect, log in and make sure LiveTrack settings are as they should be to your preferences

7.  Back in business. 

Not to pile on, but it is really disappointing that Garmin don't monitor and interact with these forums.  Probably would not put myself through this rollback process if a Garmin employee could tell us exactly when the new version would be released. 

As it is now, the only news we get is second hand, unofficial and vague.  Kind of unacceptable, and certainly would be something to be considered when I'm shopping for my next GPS unit (have we talked about how my USB charging has gotten flaky, and it will eventually force me to buy a new GPS???? Wahoo has an edge for my business based on recent experience w. my Garmin.

• It appears that all of the users here with problems are pairing with Android phones, and have not seen any reports of GPS units other than Edge 520/530 reporting this issue.

Your not looking very hard

• Does it make a difference what phone we use.  The problem is with Garmin not the users.

• Fair assessment.  I stand corrected.

• Has anyone tested the latest software that seems to have come out today or yesterday?  Let us know.  There's no mention in the list of fixes regarding this issue.

• On my samsung A50 I am still offered version 4.30 of April 28 4.30 on PC Google Chrome a version of May 27 but still version 4.30 As version 4.29 works for me, I will wait for your comments before changing.

• I'm sticking with ver 4.29 on my phone.  The updated software that came out 13.10, does not seem to download to my 520.  I'll keep trying.