This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Adding locations to 520 Plus

I have just purchased a 520 Plus and was given to understand that it can do on the fly routing to saved locations. I'm aware this isn't the same as routing to POI. But it's not clear how I actually add those locations to the device?

Ideally, I'd want to have my home and a few other locations to navigate to. From what I have seen in the extremely limited manual, it's only possible to add a location that you have already visited - is this correct? Is there no way to manually add a location that I haven't been to?

thanks

Simon

• Hello Simon, when you want do navigate to POI you can install the garmin app Yelp. In your Edge 520 plus you can start Yelp under Connect IQ.

You have many options to navigate to a location. You can save the location that you have visited. The saved location you will find under Favorites. 

But if you want to cycle to a location where you have not been, then you go to the map side or navigation. There is a point wher you can search on the map (you need for thist new function the latest firmware or the . Then you see on the map a crosshair with which you can move it over the side buttons. If you have selected your destination, you can save this location (It is then stored under favorites) or you can navigate directly to the location.

A very good way is the garmin app Sendpoints (https://apps.garmin.com/de-DE/apps/93712e86-cec9-48c3-b18e-2a87aefead91) . On your Smartphone you go to the internet side www.sendpoints.us

On this side you can insert the destination location (city, street, housnumber). Then you will get a 4 digit number. In the Edge 520 Plus you go into the Connect IQ and start the app Sendpoints. Here you can insert the 4 digit numer. Then the location is stored under favorites and you can navitgate to it. The only problem is that you can add locations to favorites with the sendpoints app is only possible when you are not in the recording modus That is a problem with all apps, you can nor start the apps under Connect IQ when you are in recording modus, only Widges can to that.

But now there is a new Widget for Sendpoints available. With this widget you can insert the 4 digit code during the recording mode in the widget and you can directly start the navigation to this location. But in this Widget it is not possible to save it as favorite (or I have not find it until now).  apps.garmin.com/.../6b770e92-2cc6-437e-8de2-0efae208a455

Regards

Sven

• Thanks ... I've been looking for something lke this for quite a while.

I'm  Australia, and I've found that Yelp has very limited usefullness for me. I didn't know that the latest firmware lets you pan around on the map ... Could be used at a pinch, but have to know roughly where the location you are looking for is, and it's pretty clunky and slow.

The Sendpoints Widget is gold! Search for locaton on my phone, get code, enter code in wdget ... Go! I'm not too concerned about the inability to save the location at that time, can do that if needed when I get there. The ability to do this on the go, while recording a ride, or while another IQ app is running is key for me.

• You can install not only the Widget. You can install the sendpoints app to your Edge too. When you enter the Code in the sendpoint app it ist saved under favorites. The only negative point is, that you have to stop the recording first. 

What is also good with the new firmware, you can zoom during the recording the map in which you long press the upper right button. Then a plus minus symbol appears to zoom.

• I second the previous comment. The sendpoints app works very well for me. Garmin should have included a similar capability.

• Finally I have a solutiion to naviagtion similar to my TomTom!! fingers crossed when I'm trying to lacate that campsite whilst bikepacking I can still get a 3/4G signal! LOL...but great app, chapeau