This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

how to send route on mobile phone to 520 plus

Can someone please walk me through how i can plan a route on my mobile (android) and send it to the edge 520 plus? The 520plus is brilliant when following a route but it cannot be used when one has gone off the route and need the unit to dynamically re-route to the destination. On a ride recently that had gone away from the planned route the 520 plus continued to insist i make a u-turn and refused to re-route. And when it did re-route it didn't see that we were only like 3km away from the destination and continued to insist on it's original route.

If i get seriously lost - I think i'll prefer to abandon the edge 520plus' routing function and create my own route to load it back to the 520 plus.

What's the best android routing app to use?

Is Garmin connect the only way to bring routes into the 520 plus? Can someone please show how to load a route into garmin connect and then into the 520 plus?
  • A decent way to accomplish what you want to do, when lost, is to 1) use Google Maps app to figure out your location, then 2) use Strava's new mobile route creator to rough-draw a line to where you want to go. Strava will use it's route popularity data to select a route to your destination, generally along the route you drew with your finger. Once created and saved, you can 3) move the route you created from Strava to your Garmin 520+ using the Strava Routes Garmin ConnectIQ app.

To do the above, you do need to be a Strava Summit member (unlocks the mobile app's route creator function).

Others may have easier suggestions than mine. But this suggestion will work if you've paid up for Summit.

Cheers to all!
  • If you are following a Course, then it will try to re-route you back to the Course. A U-turn is normally the first recommendation, but after a while it will recommend alternative routes to get back to the Course.

If you are just navigating to a destination (ie. to a single point, rather than a prescribed Course), then it will more dynamically reroute to the destination.
  • You can use the desktop version of garmin connect to plan a route.
    It’s a bit slow on a mobile phone but works.
    Go to https://connect.garmin.com/modern/courses and by clicking on the three dot’s (on android phone) in the right top corner, select Desktopsite.
    I do this only to get a bigger map surface on my screen. The mobile version is covered by info fields leaving a small map at the bottom.
    Click on ‘create course’ blue button
    Select type of course
    Choose Trendline, follow roads of free hand.
    Put a start pin on the map by tapping once
    Put an end pin on the map by tapping twice
    Than blue button to save, after saving you have the option to send it to your garmin!ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1457538.jpg
  • Ha -i've played around with Garmin Connect and couldn't make any sense of it - and i thought i was a geek.I still can't find a way to be able to create a route on the mobile on be able to send it to the520 Plus. Even on strava - where's the route builder? Is it in the strava summit? Which Strava summit do i need to get then for the route builer - there's 3 versions.:mad:
  • @ BigLampar I will try to explain with screens (sorry my settings are Dutch language, but I’m sure u get the picture)
    Go to https://connect.garmin.com/modern/courses

Make Course
    " />">

After clicking on three dots right top screen, select Desktopsite
    " />">

" />">
    " />">
  • Send to Device
    " />">
    " />">
  • Thanks v much jerxjac. Damn it's very fiddly - and i'm sitting in the comfort of my man-cave and i'm struggling to get it to work - i actually gave up. Imagine doing this by the road side in bright light, wind, and traffic. And spotty reception. it's a killer. And why am i always over Africa? Why doesn't it auto locate my current position.

I like the Strava version better - if it works as advertised.

Maybe it's best to always save where you started from - so at least the unit can route you back to that spot. Pray it's a decent route and not over the Himalayas or something similar.
  • https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/quickly-creating-devices.html

he's showing an iphone app, but there are android recommendations in the comments.