This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

USB connection not working, cannot go to data transfer mode

Edge 520 is about 1 year old, now I cannot connect to PC anymore. Device turns on when connected to PC, loads the battery but does not connect, does not show up on the PC. Already tried to force into mass storage mode following https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/PsxSBlFqTL57tN38aI6m29. This does not do anything different: I hold the LAP button, plug in the usb cable, but the Edge 520 turns itself on just like it always does!

Last time I connected about 2 months ago, where I upgraded to Version 12.10, have three different usb cables, which I used previously successfully.
????
  • Firstly check the cable you are using. Some USB cables are wired for power only and are not wired for data as well.

If using a different cable does not fix the issue then inspect the USB port on the Edge and see if any of the pins are damaged or corroded. If they look green or dirty you can use some electrical contact cleaner (or some WD-40 if you have no cleaner). Apply a little to the port and work a cable in and out few times to clean the contacts.

If any of the pins are damaged you will need to contact Garmin support and see what they can do for you.
  • Well, looks like the problem really are the usb cables...

But I want to point out that I find it absolutely dumb that the "force mass storage" mode does not do what its name says, if the device did switch into that mode forcibly one could rule out those cable issues a lot faster. That is really poor design!
  • Hi there. Have the same issue with the new one 520 plus. Using USB cable provided in the package. Seeing that it was recognized by Windows 10 as the usb device but not the storage. Also tried to force the device to go into mass storage mode as suggested in To force an Edge into mass storage mode - no results. Furthermore I downloaded USB drivers for the device from Garmin site, but my Windows 10 said it is incompatible with current 64 bit system. Frustrated.