This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Power meter Dropouts

Ok, I have a new FSA Powerbox, basically a re-badged Power2max. After a few rides the Garmin flashed up a "low Battery" warning for the FSA. When I checked the battery status in the sensors menu it said the battery was fine. Anyway I changed the battery but 2 rides later the message popped up again.
When I checked back through the power data on my rides I saw the following dropouts. This is just a small sample, there's loads. I happens indoors too, I did a Tacx VR ride and recorded my power meter on the garmin while recording the Tacx powermeter directly on the laptop. Got the same results, PM dropping every minute or so but no problem with the Tacx.
I recorded a ride using th PM on Zwift, no dropouts.
" />">
" />">

I've turned off bluetooth on the 520 and had my phone on aircraft mode so no interference would be coming from there.
Anyone got any ideas?
  • I'm going through some power drop outs with Stages at the moment
    Similar symptoms after upgrading to 12.10

Will retest after the latest firmware (12.20) is applied
  • I think I am experiencing exactly the same issue. Got my FSA Powerbox a few weeks ago. I find that when starting out on a ride I get very spotty power readings. I get a single reading, then it goes back to 0 for several seconds, then another single reading, back to 0 again and so on. After 5 or so minutes, sometimes longer I start get to get consistent readings. I have tried removing and reinstalling the battery whilst the problem is occurring, and that doesn't seem to help. I also got a low power meter battery warning on my Garmin the other day after the PM had done at most 10hrs riding (much less than the stated 400hrs). I swapped it for a new battery and still had the same problem today. I tried holding my Garmin down by my bottle cages whilst riding to see if it was a signal strength problem but that made no difference. Something is definitely wrong, i'm not sure whether it is with the PM or my Garmin.
  • Please share the original FIT file (not a Connect link) with me to check the signal strenght of the sensors. Its readable from FIT file with special softwares.

Dropbox link or send me a pm.

BR,
    Andras
  • I am having the exact same issue, new FSA Powerbox, has done the same thing on all 4 rides i have used it. After 5 minutes or so I have stopped and recalibrated the power meter and it takes ages to recalibrate but then seems to be okay after that. Only difference for me is I am using an Edge 510.
  • Power2Max released their (beta) android app today (3rd Nov) together with a new app webpage for upgrades/updates. I bet, these PowerBox dropouts are coming from its electronics (so not the Garmin's fault) and there will be a firmware update soon.
  • Yes, this Power2Max app updates the PowerBox also, you need to register at apps.power2max.com at 1st, take a photo about serial/ID on the spider (or use the token code if you have, only for the newest purchase since sept 2017), send it to the P2M, they will add the powermeter to the app and You will be able to update (and upgrade with plus features) to the latest firmware which will solve Your dropout problem for sure.
  • I am having exactly the same battery and dropout issues with my Power2Max NGeco. Power2Max has told me they found the cause of the battery issue in the NGeco software. But the cause of the dropouts is yet to be determined. P2M wants me to try a different head unit, so I will be trying a friend's Edge 820 in the near future. Does anyone have anything regarding the dropouts as to whether it's appears to be a Edge 520 firmware issue or NGeco? I'm on Edge firmware v12.30.
  • The dropout issue with the Edge 520 and the FSA PowerBox and the Power2Max NGeco has been found to be in v12.30 of the Edge 520's firmware. DC Rainmaker had no issues when he reviewed the NCeco with v12.20. When he upgraded to v12.30 the dropout issue was there. I've reverted back to v12.20, but have not been able to test yet.
  • Thank you all for the information. I have reported the dropout issues and will follow up if we need more information.
  • Hello,
    is there any update on this issue?