This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Device stuck loading profiles on boot

My Edge 520 won't boot up properly today. It gets as far as "Loading Profiles" and then hangs there, with some moving dots near the top of the screen, but it doesn't get any further (it normally stays only a couple of seconds at that screen).

The troubleshooting section of the manual isn't much use. I've tried resetting it by holding down the power button, but it still does the same thing on startup.

If I connect it to my PC, then Garmin Connect doesn't see it and my PC asks me if I want to format the device (so I can't use File Explorer on it). I checked this thread and the connect-to-usb-while-holding-lap-button thing doesn't work, my PC still won't see it other than ask if I want to format it.

Sounds like it's totally corrupted. Any ideas on how I can move it forward? Thanks.
  • Likewise with me - a great fix.. My 510 died partway through a ride this morning. I just deleted activities (but took the advice to save everything!). The unit then rebooted as if nothing had happened. Fear of paying for another unit turns to jubilation in less than 5 mins.

• Happened again ...this time nothing is working to get off "loading profiles". Is it worth letting the PC reformat the disk?

• Sorry mate could be time to upgrade. I did last year. I wouldn't reformat the disc unless last resort. Let it run out of battery first then retry steps above. Hard to know why these things happen. 

• I went ahead with the reformat before seeing your reply (followed procedure here https://support.fesports.com.au/kb/faq.php?id=21  thanks to those guys whoever they are).  Seems OK (although you need to spend time re-enter all your details of course). Test ride tomorrow. I'm reluctant to upgrade until my 510 either terminally dies or , more likely,  I get fed up with reformatting!  Its not done badly though - recorded 33,900 miles.

• Reformat worked for 1 ride but then went back to the same problem. I'll reformat again then let the battery run out!

• Also make sure you've deleted all activities and make sure your on the latest firmware. Hope it works out! 

• I have this issue. My 520 Plus gets stuck on loading profiles.  I've tried everything I have found.

1. Factory reset (power - down button) - does not work
    2. Reformat by forcing in to computer mode (lap button held down when plugging into computer) - works
    3. Format on windows 10 to FAT 32, default allocation, quick format off - works.
    4. Upon restart it goes back into loading profiles.

When I view the device on the computer it has no files yet it acts exactly the same.

At this point it appears to be firmware issue.  Is there a way to reload the firmware?

• My 510 is working again. It took several reformats and copying the software across to get there though…. time consuming and irritating especially when you have to put all you start data and reconnect HRM,  power meters etc.  I checked I was on the latest version via Garmin Connect  - not sure one can do more than this? I suspect that the problem with my 510 is corrupt activity files or perhaps just the storage degenerating. I’m hoping to nurse my unit through until the 540 generation is released. Shouldn’t say this though as it will have me loading profiles again tomorrow!