This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

520 memory issues .the answerssss

Ok guys
Here is what you need to do to eliminate all 520 memory issues
Connect 520 to laptop
On.mac open the hard drive garmin icon on screen
Click on get info
It will say like 10mb available oit of 110
Here is why
Every time you use the 520 it embeds the gps file into a file hidden which totally uses up all THE memory
After every ride after the session uploads to your phone and garmin connect on.laptop you need to delete the days ride on the 520
Ok
Now ... Open the garmen file
Look for gmapbmap.img
Delete it. On.mac must empty trash
Look for gmapmap sup. Delete it

Nowwww. Scroll down and look for file scm
Open it.. Haaa you will see hugeeee long list of bmap gps files
Delete the scm filetotally
Empty trash
Now tou have 107/110 mb

Wtf didnt garmin know this when I called 5 timessssss

Its not just deleting activities folder
Yes u needto if u dont delete each days session on the unit itself before connecting to laptop

Hope this helps
  • 520 memory issues

If you use 520 every day... Go to laptop. Connect 520.open up icon. Delete activities folder anddd scm file and gmapbmap .img and gmapbmap.sup
    Why didnt garmin techs know this?????

The scm file is where alll the gps files are stired as images. Thats whats killing the memory
    When u go to do software upgrade it wont allow it as it reads too low memory
    Do what I said and youll be fine
  • If you use 520 every day... Go to laptop. Connect 520.open up icon. Delete activities folder anddd scm file and gmapbmap .img and gmapbmap.sup
    Why didnt garmin techs know this?????

The scm file is where alll the gps files are stired as images. Thats whats killing the memory
    When u go to do software upgrade it wont allow it as it reads too low memory
    Do what I said and youll be fine

Are you using a Mac? If you are, are you emptying the trash after you delete something. I have no memory issues and I use mine plenty. I also delete activities on the device when uploaded to Garmin.
  • There is no need to delete any of the standard files from the system in order to have enough free space. The Edge 520 has around 49 MB of free space if all activities are removed.

It sounds like you have configured the Edge screen capture capability to be on. This will create a BMP file in the scrn folder of your screen each time that you press the lap button. Unless you are actually using these screen images I would suggest switching this feature off.

It is under the System/Display settings.
  • There is no need to delete any of the standard files from the system in order to have enough free space. The Edge 520 has around 49 MB of free space if all activities are removed.

It sounds like you have configured the Edge screen capture capability to be on. This will create a BMP file in the scrn folder of your screen each time that you press the lap button. Unless you are actually using these screen images I would suggest switching this feature off.

It is under the System/Display settings.

Thanks alan. Hugeeee helpppl but my 520 says memory available 107/110 mb
  • Sure you do Laurence, but you have deleted the base maps. Those may be useless to you but a lot of users are replacing them with Openstreet maps of the areas they usually ride in (search DCRainmaker's how to if you are interested). 50 Mb is enough for plenty of activities, workouts, etc. Not going to store MP3 or movies there, losing functionality for storage I won't be needing is not a good trade off.
    Thanks alan. Hugeeee helpppl but my 520 says memory available 107/110 mb
  • Can you produce a list of the files on the device (including hidden files)?

Did you replace the basemap with your own map?
  • Can you produce a list of the files on the device (including hidden files)?

Did you replace the basemap with your own map?

Full instructions here....

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html
  • Thanks. I know how to replace the base map. I was trying to help Laurence with why his unit had such little free space.
  • Thanks. I know how to replace the base map. I was trying to help Laurence with why his unit had such little free space.

Do you actually need to replace it? Is the point of replacing it to free up space for the other map? Does the 520/only handle one map?

On other units, the base map makes low level zooms much faster to draw.
  • The 520 only handles one map. It was not really designed to have the map replaced. Replacing the map is a workaround or hack that requires the replacement map to take the place and name of the basemap.