This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Problems with auto pause and the Virtual Partner

I captured an activity from a ride I did with auto pause on. I created a course from that activity and downloaded it to my 520. I then ride that course but the time of the Virtual Partner included all my paused stops from the ride.

Here are the ride times from my activity:

Time: 2:18:40
Moving Time 2:16:40
Elapsed Time 2:23:58

Interestingly enough, in the web app the time listed for the course I created from that activity is 2:17:44! I have no idea where that comes from?

When I download that course to my device it lists the time as 2:23:59, which is likely the elapsed time rounded up. When I ride the course, the VP stops at all the places where the ride was paused and all of a sudden I am way ahead of the VP. Since this ride has 5-6 stop lights on it I don't want the random behavior of which lights I hit to affect my virtual ride the same as it is not counted in my ride time for my real ride.

Anyone have any suggestions how I can get the course to use the times from my ride time and not the elapsed time for the VP?

Hope this makes sense.
  • The course and the Edge are using the times from you ride. That is the problem. It is using the time delta from the first point to compute the time for each data point in the file. The fact that you stopped and restarted is reflected in the data for each point.

You would need to adjust the data points after each stop to remove the stopped time from the time stamps. That is not really practical for most users.

Most sites allow you to set a uniform average speed for a course. Some sites allow you to set different speeds for up hill and down hill when building a course.

If you create a course from an activity then it uses the exact pacing that was captured in the file, so if you stopped then that is used.

What you are after is a way to edit out the stopped time to make appear as though you did the ride without any stops. I'm not aware of an easy way to do this, but I will do some research.
  • Thanks Alan. What you say makes sense. I suspect the enhancement for Garmin would be to do the adjustment you suggest when creating a course from an activity. Shouldn't be too tough for a good developer :)
  • It"s really disappointing that this isn't a feature of the Garmin Edge lineup. If we could race against our personal best over a course and have Virtual Partner show our position relative to that record to would be very motivating and a great training tool. Unfortunately it currently stands that "beat yesterday" (or your personal record) is best achieved by running red lights, because you're really racing against your personal elapsed time.