This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 25 feature enhancement thread

I've had my Edge 25 for about 2 weeks now and really like it.

Because it is a relatively new product I think this Forum needs a Features Request thread. A place the early adopters can voice their opinions on what they think is missing, what they would like changed and what they would like added.

Of course some changes are limited by hardware. Can't have barometric altimeter added in a firmware unless there is a barometer hiding in there somewhere ... ALSO in a small unit there may be some processing power and/or memory storage constraints.

but anyway here goes - in no particular order:

• make a zoomed out version of the course map included in the scroll as an option (indicating where I am on course)
  • add HR to P1 or P2 text displays
  • If I set a course like a criterium or circuit I want it to auto lap count based on geography and not "5 miles"
  • longer text string for course names
  • place to display the amount of memory used/available
  • a way to set up what displays you want it to scroll through
  • sometimes I just want to watch cadence and HR
  • a way to check calibration of speed/distance sensor (I rode 10 miles according to GPS and I rode 9.99 miles according to speed sensor)
  • make the beeps silent on the device but audible through the bluetooth connected device
  • make email and calendar alerts flash up like phone and text alerts from bluetooth connected devices
  • battery stretch mode - power save settings - maybe turn off display except when a button is pressed etc. so all it does is collect GPS location, speed, HR, cadence data and when a turn is imminent in a course it displays that (I am assuming the display takes some power)
  • here is a hardware one - but it is an accessory: extended battery pack product
  • gear inches display - you know the speed and you know the cadence, you should be able to figure out what gears I am in
  • another hardware one - maybe an accessory or for the next version: an grade sensor (accelerometer based?) - am I riding uphill or down? does the sensor match the Map source? could this make altitude gain/loss more accurate?

anyone else?
add some - vote for ones you like/would prioritize
  • +1 for me on:

* add time of day as a data field

* add heart rate as a data field

I use mine for commuting, when I like to know my speed and the time of day, and for racing, when I want to know heart rate, distance and elapsed time.
  • We do monitor the Forums and appreciate input about device functionality and improvements. Please visit our ideas portal where you can make suggestions and submit requests for additional features: (www.garmin.com/ideas).
  • I would like to just start rolling and record the data from the sensors available without waiting for GPS and then have GPS kick in once it's acquired a signal. My commute from work starts in a parking garage and I don't feel like stopping outside the garage to wait for a GPS signal, especially on a cloudy day.
  • I second being able to start before proper GPS-signal

I would like to just start rolling and record the data from the sensors available without waiting for GPS and then have GPS kick in once it's acquired a signal. My commute from work starts in a parking garage and I don't feel like stopping outside the garage to wait for a GPS signal, especially on a cloudy day.

I agree with mrdeus. If the signal is poor at the starting point it is a hassle to have to continually check whether GPS has connected or not.

Also, a way to manually update the firmware would be great.

Other than that, I'm really happy with this small and simple GPS.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Just to say this is a device which Garmin are positioning at the low end, therefore they will only put on features that don't impact on sales on higher end devices. That said, just one point. GPS is inherently inaccurate. Always trust your distance sensor over it (if you have the wheel size set correctly!)

HTH

CW

If GPS is inherently inaccurate, I'm very happy with it in the most challenging mountain trail with forest canopy I have available: http://www.mygpsfiles.com/app/#2hGPtO3k

Track builders have measured 14km, Edge 25 says 13.9km. No more features, PLEASEEEE!
  • Auto-scroll pause, backlight setting

I enjoy the auto-scroll alot and use it an all my rides. However, sometimes I would like to stop the scroll, e.g. when I'm going up a steep incline and want to focus on heartbeat only, or when I'm going flat out and want to look at speed only, or when I'm following route and want to see where I am going. I know, I can do this manually If I set it to manual scroll before I go, but i like the auto because it keeps me up to speed on all I need to know at all times. So, if could just pause the scrolling by pressing the "Down" button when I'm in the desired it display, and resume scrolling by pressing "down" again that would be great.

The backlight works well, but on auto-scroll it fades before the scrolling is done. I would the backlight to stay on for one loop through all fields and then turn itself off. And it should stay on for one loop regardless of it beeing a slow, medium or fast scroll.
  • Course zoom-in

After using my Edge 25 for about 1000 km on my mtb, I would definitely add the zoom-in feature ad first improvement! At the moment I sometimes need to check on my smartphone's larger screen (taking it away from the pocket) to check for a direction, expecially in single tracks !!!

* Another vote here for zoom-able course maps! This is important to mtb bikers that are dealing with tight, twisty courses in areas where singletracks split off in all directions.

I would also add:

* for text notifications; remove the large text icon and display more of the text. make it scroll-able to see the rest. increase the length of time that it is displayed.
    * add current percent grade of climb to data field
    * add elevation loss as data field
    * add time of day as a data field (I know it is it's own page, but it should be an option on data field for those that don't want to loop through screens)
    * silent mode except course turn notifications
    * be able to adjust settings while ride is being recorded, or at least while paused
    * fine tune auto-pause somehow
    * native upload of GPX based courses from alternate sources
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Improvements

+1 on 1 sec recording
    +1 on HR on p 1 or 2

Also, the display of text messages seems quite flaky. Sometimes it shows the first few characters but repeating on two lines. If you've received more than one text, it shows a little scroll down arrow but why? It doesn't seem to be accessible. And it may show the first characters of the previous text rather than the most recent. Really mixed up.
  • +1 on heart rate data field

Disable ANT+ light pairing...or the contact details of Garmin's lawyers ready for the NEXT TIME it randomly turns off ANT+ lights or prevents the mode being changed on them and I crash
  • +1 on heart rate data field

It's technically possible, just needs Garmin to implement it themselves...

http://www.edge25.net/

I usually have Time/BPM/Cad and Spd/BPM/Cad on the 2 screens.