This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 battery life

I did my first ~3.5 hour ride with the Edge 130. I started with full battery and it was at 50% afterwards. Promised are 15h. Doesn't add up for me!

Are there any settings that could save battery consumption? I switched on GPS only. Anything else that would help?
  • Right, that would make sense - it probably was long enough ago that I last saw a warning that I was on the previous firmware. And, as you say, you'd expect the battery bar to have no bars left when it runs out rather than one.
  • Yesterday I've installed the 3.2 firmware, and the Battery Indicator was corrected: Now showing by 1% Empty battery, 20%=1bar, ... 80% =4bars, 100% = 5 bars.
  • Thank you for the info...

• Hello everyone, Since the update 3.2 in 20 minutes of bike I use 1 bar of battery, is it normal? I only have live track and heart sensor. Thank you

• Hello everyone, Since the update 3.2 in 20 minutes of bike I use 1 bar of battery, is it normal? I only have live track and heart sensor. Thank you

Similar for me (using heart rate monitor but not live track). I mostly use my Edge 130 for commuting (2 x 40 minutes each day) and the battery usually lasts around a fortnight before I need to recharge. I updated to 3.2 on Monday morning and noticed this morning (so after just two days) that the battery had already lost a bar. By the time I arrived home tonight it was down to one bar.

I plugged the Garmin in to charge and when I looked at it five minutes later the battery was showing full charge. I suspect the issue is with the battery display rather than the battery itself, although I hope not to be proved wrong!!
  • The battery indication was changed, but the battery life remains the same. In 3.0 the unit goes off with 1 bar still shown. Now, in 3.2 the last bar dissapears, and the empty battery is shown, before the unit goes off.

So the battery is not draining faster, you only see 4 bars by 90%-70% and not by 70%-50% as it was in 3.0

If you are driving more short rides, you have to consider the synchronisation with Garmin Connect and the serching for sensors after swith on, and after saving the ride. This is draining the battery really fast, and causes the temporarily battery level drop.

And don't forget, that the battery life by winter temperatures is not the same as in hot sommer...
  • Since 3.2 I have found the battery level indicator erratic: edge fully charged and switched off; next time I switch on it’s immediately showing 4bars or sometimes 3 bars. Pressing the back button resets it to 5 bars. Switched off and on again and the same thing happens.
    This is very similar to fw v2.4 when there was a single solid bar, the level was all over the place. I don’t think it’s accurate and can’t be relied on to give a true battery level.

Have raised a ticket with Garmin support UK and await a response...
  • The battery indication was changed, but the battery life remains the same. In 3.0 the unit goes off with 1 bar still shown. Now, in 3.2 the last bar dissapears, and the empty battery is shown, before the unit goes off.

So the battery is not draining faster, you only see 4 bars by 90%-70% and not by 70%-50% as it was in 3.0

If you are driving more short rides, you have to consider the synchronisation with Garmin Connect and the serching for sensors after swith on, and after saving the ride. This is draining the battery really fast, and causes the temporarily battery level drop.

And don't forget, that the battery life by winter temperatures is not the same as in hot sommer...

I agree when winter the battery takes less time,

But how to explain that Saturday in 6 hours there are still 3 bars and since the update 3.2 the battery does not even 4h in the same conditions

• See the difference Battery Gauge 3.0 vs 3.2
    [TABLE="border: 1, cellpadding: 1, width: 500"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Battery Level[/TD]
    [TD]IQ Data Field[/TD]
    [TD]Battery Gauge 3.0[/TD]
    [TD]Battery Gauge 3.2[/TD]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]100-90[/TD]
    [TD]100[/TD]
    [TD]5[/TD]
    [TD]5[/TD]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]90-70[/TD]
    [TD]80[/TD]
    [TD]5[/TD]
    [TD]4[/TD]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]70-50[/TD]
    [TD]60[/TD]
    [TD]4[/TD]
    [TD]3[/TD]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]50-30[/TD]
    [TD]40[/TD]
    [TD]3[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]30-10[/TD]
    [TD]20[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]10-0[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]0[/TD]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  • Thanks for the clarifications Juraj_K - but have you noticed the battery gauge 'jumping' up and down between screens rides since 3.2 (which has been reported above and in the firmware thread)?

I don't find the battery to be any worse in terms of performance - and I agree with your chart above - but I am noticing that I regularly switch screens and see a different gauge level to that on the previous screen. Sometimes I start a ride with 3 bars on the 'home' screen, but have 4 on the data field - then I go back to the home screen and they are both 4 for a while - then the data field says 5 and the home 4. The next day I switch it on and the home screen says 5 (uncharged in between). I don't recall seeing that on 3.0...