This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 battery life

I did my first ~3.5 hour ride with the Edge 130. I started with full battery and it was at 50% afterwards. Promised are 15h. Doesn't add up for me!

Are there any settings that could save battery consumption? I switched on GPS only. Anything else that would help?
  • The Stages PM should not be an issue. I have just 3 std Sensors (HF, Cadence, Speed) running and far away from 12 hours.

Hm, just found a potential error on my side. When I connected the sensors I chose to connect all visible sensors. As a result, the Stages power meter was paired twice, over ANT+ and BLE. Could imagine that the additional BLE connection contributes to the battery drain. I deleted the BLE device, let's see if it has an impact....
  • Today same ride, slightly faster speed, same settings and pairings as below- 2:41:44 Moving/2:48:21 Elapsed
    Started with battery 100% - Finished at 65%. That's much better.
    Haven't tried FW 2.30 yet, pending some of the comments with issues here. Hoping we can get Strava Live Segments fixed and battery issues ironed out and I think I will like this thing!

Here's my results from today's ride:
    Started with a full charge.
    Moving time: 2:45:58 / Elapsed Time: 2:58:27
    Battery at 53%.
    GPS + Glonass
    Live Tracking
    3 Sensors: Power meter, HRM, Speed sensor - all ant+
    Backlight: 10 secs
    Firmware: 2.20

• Hm, just found a potential error on my side. When I connected the sensors I chose to connect all visible sensors. As a result, the Stages power meter was paired twice, over ANT+ and BLE. Could imagine that the additional BLE connection contributes to the battery drain. I deleted the BLE device, let's see if it has an impact....

Someone on a forum admitting they may have been wrong...maybe this world isn’t doomed! Thank you for the insight as I am sure you aren’t the only person that would make this error and I will be sure to double check that setting when pairing my ant/BLE sensors. Heads up to anyone with a lot of United miles. They just added the 130, 520plus and bundle options on their mileage plus shopping site.
  • Someone on a forum admitting they may have been wrong...maybe this world isn’t doomed! Thank you for the insight as I am sure you aren’t the only person that would make this error and I will be sure to double check that setting when pairing my ant/BLE sensors. Heads up to anyone with a lot of United miles. They just added the 130, 520plus and bundle options on their mileage plus shopping site.

I have checked my sensor. Run 2 Wahoo. Both connected ANT+ only by itself. No 2nd connection visible. 3rd is a Garmin Speed - so anyway.
    So doesn't look that causes bad battery for me.
  • Today same ride, slightly faster speed, same settings and pairings as below- 2:41:44 Moving/2:48:21 Elapsed
    Started with battery 100% - Finished at 65%. That's much better.
    Haven't tried FW 2.30 yet, pending some of the comments with issues here. Hoping we can get Strava Live Segments fixed and battery issues ironed out and I think I will like this thing!

Did you had the GC App running?
  • Hm, just found a potential error on my side. When I connected the sensors I chose to connect all visible sensors. As a result, the Stages power meter was paired twice, over ANT+ and BLE. Could imagine that the additional BLE connection contributes to the battery drain. I deleted the BLE device, let's see if it has an impact....

I think this made a noticeable difference. Didn't have the time to ride it empty but after about 5h of moving time it showed almost 50% left. So 10h could be possible, let's see....
  • Sorry just saw your question. Yes GC was running.
    Did you had the GC App running?

• Another test with 2.40 today. 6:12 hours, only 23% remaining after. Still 3 sensors, GC app NOT running. No navigation. :(

That fits to the earlier tests with shorter duration. But now no estimate, just facts.
  • I've got an answer from the Garmin Product Support Team:

For battery estimates, we need it to not be connected with anything wirelessly and it needs to have the GPS activity turned on and run constantly until dead. Also make sure you are charging it from a Garmin 5v-1A AC adapter or a computer. Third party adapters usually charge too quickly and trick the device in to thinking it’s fully charged when it’s not.

I did some further testing with the Edge 130 v2.40 last week and here are some findings:

I charged it with a 5V-1A till 100%.
    For the static test: Phone disconnected, all sensors disconnected. GPS only. I put the Edge 130 in front of my window with good GPS reception and ran it all evening and night until dead. Result: easily >15hrs. This is of course without any movement or rinding a course….

But...

Today I did a ride of <4hrs, GPS only, no phone connected, external HR strap connected and battery life dropped from 80% till 12% :-( I’m looking to attach a external speed sensor in the future and maybe power, but I’m really afraid that the Edge 130 wouldn’t last for more than 5hrs…
  • I've got an answer from the Garmin Product Support Team:

For battery estimates, we need it to not be connected with anything wirelessly and it needs to have the GPS activity turned on and run constantly until dead. Also make sure you are charging it from a Garmin 5v-1A AC adapter or a computer. Third party adapters usually charge too quickly and trick the device in to thinking it’s fully charged when it’s not.

I did some further testing with the Edge 130 v2.40 last week and here are some findings:

I charged it with a 5V-1A till 100%.
    For the static test: Phone disconnected, all sensors disconnected. GPS only. I put the Edge 130 in front of my window with good GPS reception and ran it all evening and night until dead. Result: easily >15hrs. This is of course without any movement or rinding a course….

But...

Today I did a ride of <4hrs, GPS only, no phone connected, external HR strap connected and battery life dropped from 80% till 12% :-( I’m looking to attach a external speed sensor in the future and maybe power, but I’m really afraid that the Edge 130 wouldn’t last for more than 5hrs…

If it is really based on the sensors, then something is wrong. I never experienced this with any Garmin device before.