This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 battery life

I did my first ~3.5 hour ride with the Edge 130. I started with full battery and it was at 50% afterwards. Promised are 15h. Doesn't add up for me!

Are there any settings that could save battery consumption? I switched on GPS only. Anything else that would help?
  • I’m interested. Can you post a link to where you got the better battery and a few words about what’s involved in fitting it (e.g. how the case comes apart, does it need soldering etc)?

• PS. Temperatures are back to 10-12C here in the UK and my battery life has near doubled as a result. This issue is definitely cold weather related (5C or less) and I suspect battery life could be close to what Garmin claim when temperatures are 20C (we’ll see, this summer) 

• As you can read in the other battery topic

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-130/155946/edge-130-cold-weather-performance)

djbahool member discovered there is room for a bigger battery in the 130.

This battery can be bought on Ali and has a (claimed) capacity that is double the original capacity. It is only a few mm's bigger, but at this size, this makes a big difference.

My guess is that Garmin did cut a corner, using a to small battery to cut costs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 130 reaches the claimed battery life with this bigger battery.

I ordered a bigger battery and will install it sometime in the near future. Warranty is at it's end and I don't expect any hardware solution from Garmin.

• Battery I bought from eBay, from Spain, but you can buy from Ali from China also.

Disassembling is easy: i applied a lit heat around the cover (maybe it is not necessary), and you can slowly remove the device from the plastic case.

I did it with soldering (but is also not mandatory)

• I want to add my voice to the folks experiencing unacceptable battery life with the Edge 130 as well. I've owned mine for about a year now and it seems to have gotten progressively worse and worse over that time.  Now, after a full charge, it dies after perhaps four and a half to five hours. I am in SoCal and so not dealing with very low temperature riding conditions (which I know was one issue). I'm connecting to a Wahoo TICKR heart monitor, Wahoo cadence sensor, and Wahoo speed sensor. I typically do NOT have a route loaded and active, since I discovered early on that this eats up battery life. As others have mentioned, at times, I'll unconnect the 130 from my USB charger, load up the bike on the car, and by the time I am at the start of my ride (maybe 30 minutes later), it's already down one bar. Then, it may jump back up to full bars again, and then drop back down. I can't trust the display. I used to have a Wahoo ELEMT Bolt and left it on the top of my car and lost it, and so I decided to get the Edge 130 because it cost $50 less. I was very happy with that Bolt and am thinking I may switch back to Wahoo again if Garmin has no answer for this issue. Do they even monitor this forums???? BTW, I am already running the 3.60 firmware update.

• I had an Edge130 for about a year after being a happy long time Edge 500 user and experienced the same problems as you. A few months back I bought a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt and couldn't be happier. Garmin had responded initially with recommendations about prolonging battery life, but imo they really don't care. And they have shown a complete failure to stand behind their product and acknowledge to their mostly VERY long term customer base that there is a manufacturing defect with many of the Edge 130s involving sorely substandard battery sourcing and abysmal QA.

• battery life very disappointed have to charge it after every ride.  Yesterday started a ride 50% charged only lasted 10 Miles

• Today I have tested the Edge 130 with the new battery, below -4 Celsius. No problem. 1 hour ride used about 10-15% from the battery.

• Can you add my name to the list of folks awaiting a solution from the Edge team? I’m about to repurpose my Edge 130 as a paperweight or door stop!