Using the Edge 1030 in the "real world" => RAIN!!

Hi, this has been discussed many times but its not going away! Been having issues in wet/muddy conditions with the Edge1030 since I upgraded from the Edge 810 3yrs ago. Any reasonable amount of rain/mud or a drop of sweat sends the screen crazy. Locking the screen doesn't work either, although it does reduce the amount of screen flipping a little. What sort of screen lock feature doesn't "lock" the screen! To add insult there was a recent  s/w update a few weeks ago (ver#9.75) and it seems the lockscreen feature has now been removed!

Cant believe a product like this was released to market with such a massive flaw as this......

Spoke to Garmin a few times about this and they said the screen technology changed between the 810 and 1030 and the latest version takes alot less power, meaning battery life has increased. Yes this is a bonus, but here in Europe we have smthg called "RAIN" and no matter how good tHe battery life, a flipping/crazy screen garmin is worse than useless. I use the 1030 for mtb race events and its cost me several times when it goes loopy.

Garmins offer was a new device - that I had to pay for. I did this and its just the same. They then said lock the screen. Works for bit and with more rain/mud sweat the screen still flipps! And now it seems the lockscreen feature has been removed!

What next, any thoughts?

Cheers

• Latest version is 13.75 and it still got the lock screen function.

I've read several posts about the screen changing due to rain, but I have never experienced it myself even in heavy rain. I use the Medium setting for Touch sensitivity for all my bike profiles.

I did a test now with lots of water dripping on the screen and it started to click on it so I turned on the screen lock and that worked good. I see that it still clicks since I get the message at the bottom that the screen is locked. I didn't get any screen swapping at all even though the screens can be changed even if the screen lock is enabled. I could switch screens manually.

One thing that can affect my experience is that I don't keep the Edge mounted completely flat. It is slightly angled so the rain will fall off the screen downwards.

• Sorry typo its an 830, NOT a 1030.... 

• Just found that with the screen going a week ago, it selected a "save display" option which I didn't know existed! With this selected you cannot lock the screen. When I disabled "save display" the "lock screen option appeared again! So I went out in the rain again at lunchtime with the screen locked and as before, after a while, the display started randomly changing.

So back where I was....

Don't think there is a Touch sensitivity setting on the 830, well haven't found it anyway...

My 830 is mounted at a slight angle now, but I've played around with this. Any large drip of mud, drink, sweat or rain will affect it badly, no matter what angle the display face is at...

Thanks

• I did a test now with lots of water dripping on the screen and it started to click on it so I turned on the screen lock and that worked good. I see that it still clicks since I get the message at the bottom that the screen is locked.

I did this test, too, years ago. I found out, that the screen lock works well, if no activity is started.
    Strange enough - after starting an activity, having screen locked, falling waterdrops onto the display: the display goes crazy!

• Thats a good test, seems like the person who passed off the screen lock feature, never got any further than switching on the device! As most people usually have an activity running ie. pressing "start" the screen lock feature becomes useless if its raining...

• If Garmin just turn off the screen changing with screen lock enabled it would work very good. I always use the Edge Remote to switch screens.