This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Odd calorie consumption

I have Edge 1030 with HRM wrap. I do same track/path every week and calorie consumption has been around 800kcal.

Now I did add my Turbo Levo sensors (Power & cadence).

Same track yesterday and it shows only 380kcal

What could be wrong?

measurements; 22km, Average heart beat 140, max167, speed 20km/h, weight over 100kg, 1h10min.

• Max 168. I thing 145 are close to max One hour hr?

• Correction... max HR 176

• Where did you get those numbers ? There are typically two measures once you have a power meter. One is the energy at the crank, as measure by the power meter. Essentially the integral of power x dt over the duration of the ride, and kilo Joule  kJ is the unit for that. This is not your energy expended but the energy you have put into moving the bike which is what the power meter measures. The human body efficiency is about 25% (depend on individual, fitness, etc). So the other measure is the energy you body expended, measured in Calories. A kcal is not the same as a Calorie. The Calories are always estimated and cannot be measured, but the power meter add one variable to better estimate the calories you burned. Essentially when you ride 1/4 of the energy you burn move the bike forward, and 3/4 is wasted in heat, sweat, metabolism, lifting your legs  every pedal stroke, etc. As an example I look at one of my ride, and on Strava and Garmin I see I burned 2907 Calories and produced 2827kJ of work.

• I agree with what you are saying. I have read that kj of work is very close to burned calories. I find that the numbers are many times identical when viewed in Garmin Connect. Any idea why this is or where Garmin gets its calorie number?

• From Edge. 393kJ and 384kcal (sorry My bad  english, not kalorie). i know what is kJ. It is work done, not consumption. Note that SFP value can be wrong as I Paired sensors yesterday. 

• I would only trust the calories calculated from the readings of the power meter. My rides are a bit faster, 30-34 km/hr, and when it is not too windy I burn about 600 -650 kcal/hr derived from a power meter. I would say 800 is way too much and I think 380 Cal (=kcal) is about right. I know it is a bummer, but the ugly truth.

Lou

• The reason kJ and Calories are so close as a number is a fluke of nature. 1 Calorie = 4.1858 Joules, by definition of a Calori which is the energy it takes to boil some quantity of water, something like that. That conversion ratio turns out to be very close the to the 25% efficiency of the human body (which again is not exactly the same for all individuals). The kJ and Cal numbers end up very similar despite measuring different things because these two ratios  are so close.  As to how Garmin get the calorie number this is some equations they have derived somehow. The real Calories can be measured in a laboratory setting but it takes fancy lab equipment. I think the Garmin equations factor in the HR, Power (if you have a power meter, that takes our some of the guess work), temperature (measured by the Edge), duration of course, fitness level (as you enter it in your user profile), your weight, elevation profile, and then apply some sport science formula that make some assumptions about your body's efficiency (which again varies from individuals because of fitness, technique, etc).

• The power meter measures the mechanical output of the pedaling stroke and have no clue how efficient your body is. A power meter allows for  a more accurate estimation of the calories you burn, but does not measure it.

• This is true, even it feels bummer. Thanks. This leaves Still open the work from rest of the body, hands and Other muscles. 

• One think, the exercice showed 384kcal but the Connect app was showing 720 avtivekcal even I didnt do anything that afternoon. Before exersise it was like 10 or twenty.