This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Syncing Strava Live segments issue

Trying to sync my Strava Live segments on my Edge 1030 (v9.10) but not all get downloaded. Also Segment explore in my device says i am not connected. Steps i tried to make it work:
- Authorised Garmin Connect to connect to Strava.
- Strava segments is selected.
- 100 segments limitation is respected, although i starred 75 Strava segments, all of them show up in Connect but not all are transferred.
- Synced several times via PC USB2 port & smartphone's bluetooth (Win7/Express, Android 8/Connect are up to date).
- Manual deletion on PC of the "Segment" and "Segment_List" folders.
- "Reset & delete data" on device + delete device from Connect website + delete/reinstall Connect app, + delete/reinstall BT + disconect/reconnect Strava from Connect.
- Unstarred and restarred all the segments.
- OS 9.28b doesn't help.

Collateral effects:
- Synching activities to Strava does work.
- Device sometimes not recognised on PC, but since i also tried on BT i guess this is not the culprit.
- Several road cycling segments i have never starred get transferred, even in different set of segments, they often show up in the Sync status and get loaded, i only do mountain biking.
- Some segments got duplicated with a different name, example: i_segment, t_segment. I found out it's a duplicate by opening the file in Notepad and finding the segment number.
- "Device & Sync status" on Connect website yesterday, last sync had the date of "7th February 2020" although i've been trying to sync after. Now date shows "15th Feb. 2020".
- Since i bought my device new, it got problems, first one i only solved some months ago. See https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-1030/171904/slow-edge-1030-since-new I had called Garmin and they had suggested to make a "Reset & Delete Data".

Former Member or anyone, can you suggest/help, please?

• So I tracked down the exact 9 segments that are starred on STrava but not/no longer on my device (and confirmed they appear in https://connect.garmin.com/ too).

The only thing I notice about them is that they are all segments that I have had starred for quite some time. And I know that at least some of them have appeared on my device 'Live' during activities in the past. They were starred before the last 2 upgrades (3.50 and 3.60) of the firmware. Also more recent segments (added in the last 3-4 weeks) ARE on my device. It seems that for some reason a sync has decided to *remove* some of the older starred segments at some point in the past. Most of these segments are -1% > 0% > 1% elevation

• Hi JimmyD,

It is certainly the same bug. I had reported it to Garmin France via phone call.

I tried to star a variety of Strava segments, six in total, between -4% and +4%... only two were synced: one was 4%, another 1%, one of which did not have any name, so it does not follow your behaviour.
    Then i starred only 2 of those which were not synced, one with -4% and another 0%: none got updated.
    Then i switched on Climb Pro:  only one no name Strava segment with 0% and 0m

Seriously this is making us loose money! I've contacted Strava also to make sure i have the right package.
    Really awkward, they also said that Strava Live segments do not work when a course/route is loaded... ??? Well it used to work though! 

• Exactly the same problem on my 1030 Ver 9.1

80 Strava segments on connect all match Strava site no problem.

52 only of the above are listed on Training > Strava Live Segments (all enabled)

plus 1 segment not stared, 1 'i', 1't' and 2 unnamed segments.

the missing segments all are long established (years old) 

Also none of the missing segments are visible on the map when Segments are selected in Activity Profiles.

BUT....

In segment explore (pull down menu, swipe left) It shows me 19 of my closest segments.

13 of the segments are listed in the above Strava Live Segments, as you would expect. You can select them and choose to download them if it had not already done so already as you approached. 

6 of the segments are not on the Strava Live Segments list but are my Strava Starred Segments on both Strava and Garmin Connect Websites. When selected here you can see the green line on a map (the only place you can see them on the device). The start of the segment is in the correct place but the end is not, the segment is much shorter than it should be, the measured distance on the top left of the device however is correct with the Strava website.

When you try to download the segment from here you get a 'Strava Download started' > 'Strava Download failed' . Very suspicious.

From this I can assume that all 80 segments are downloaded onto the device but...

a)   We can only see them all using Segment Explore, but only when they are in range.

b)  Nearly half of my starred segments are damaged in some way that the device can not use them. Disappointing.    

Sharcrash, Are you able to replicate this issue? if so is it worth passing onto Garmin?

Thanks

• I got some more feedback from Garmin support at the end of March (further to my posts below).

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your response.

If the segments missing are downhill?

After some investigation it was identified there were server issues on Strava's end, which should now be resolved.  

It has also been identified that this should only be isolated now to downhill segments which, Strava has advised that they will not provide to our devices if the average grade for the segment is -0.25% or less.

After looking again it turns out that my missing segments are all 0% or -1% elevation ... and looking really closely at the 0% segments they are slightly negative / downhill (although I think one was closer to just -0.1% ) ... so basically Strava, not Garmin, controls what can and does end up on the Garmin Device And they don't support even the slightest downhill segment any more!!!! Or at least that is what Garmin claims ...

• This makes sense. Racing downhill segments is plain silly. They don't want to encourage it and be liable.

• I've raised this with Strava Support too, to get their side of the story ...

• Yeah but ... - 0.25% ? That's basically flat. I could understand it if they made it for segments less than -1% perhaps. But in either case I contacted Strava for their confirmation (and asked them to update their Knowledge Base if this is true, so save the confusion and frustration of others)

• It sure is a low threshold.

• Update: I got this from Strava support:

Segment is considered a descent: At this time, we do not sync nor display downhill segments for Strava Live Segments. We appreciate your feedback.

So basically any segments below 0% (including those of 0% to -0.5% which appear as 0%) won’t sync to Garmin 

I replied to them saying ‘can you clearly document it on one of your relevant support pages like support.strava.com/.../216918277-Strava-Live-Segments-on-Garmin-Devices-Summit- since this is causing a lot ofc onfusion and frustration for Garmin users.’

• wonderful, at least they told you something, italian support don't even understand what i'm talkin about. i was sure it was garmin fault. after four years, they're still releasing bugfix like if it is a beta version. however, my edge1030 was working until the autumn of 2018, don't know exactly in wich version.