This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin 1030 ear mounts broken

Ear mounts are broken off, how do I repair?

• Don't you use the tether?  Your Edge unit never has to hit the ground if you tether it to the bike.

Curious - are you doing mountain biking?  I haven't had a problem since the Edge 705, which had a different connection to the mount (slide in and click).

• You are a genius, I never realized the 1030 comes with a tether (I am about to order a 1030 now). That happened on the Edge 810, I will check the box, - just did- never came with one. But I will use it on the 1030. I do road cycling- i am nearing 50,000 kms in a few years on my 810, and it has no tether spot.. No mountain cycling. Occasionally road imperfection, my stiff road bikes absorb a lot, but the harmonics amplify in the mount esp above 35 km hr. Added to that is the UV effect- sometimes the plastic became as brittle as Styrofoam. I resolved that with german Gummipfledge or car UV protectants- no more brittleness but the ears snap. Just ordered the dogears plate and I will use 3000 top rate epoxy, the plate will never comes off. This is one of those garmin faux pas for several years now.

• I have had the dog ear tabs break off of two 1030 Garmins in the last year. My retailer has replaced them but has now said the second unit they will only warranty over the counter for 90 days. Basically telling me I have to deal with Garmin. I have owned Garmins for 10 years and have never had this problem before. I had the Garmin 1000 and it had no issues. I think the white plastic is weaker than the black plastic that was on my 1000. Garmin needs to make the tabs out of aluminum with a replaceable insert on the mount. Or make a mount where the Garmin can sit inside it, instead of twisting on.