This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin 1030 ear mounts broken

Ear mounts are broken off, how do I repair?

• Some metal mounts will actually shave a small amount of material off the tabs with frequent use. This then weekends the tabs until they fail.

• good point, I think that's part of the reason K-Edge went to a poly insert

• The reason is that it is cheaper and it can be used for another head unit with a different interface by just changing the insert.

• Definitely the tabs brake because of the weight of 1030, i am sure that Garmin know very well this problem, i am still believe that some owners are lucky or they don't use the out-front mount on Mtb or pave rode. I know also 2 owners friends of mine that they had the brake after the 2 years warranty period, so they could do nothing, except dog ears, but 1 of them had bought the extra battery pack that now is useless. Yesterday i put on my Garmin vector-3 the new caps, in this case, Garmin accept the fault and sent an e-mail to owners for changing without charge all the caps, i believe that the owners of 1030 are so many, that cost of Garmin to admit and find a solution to this problem will be enormous, So they don't admit of this issue.

• I can you be so sure ? You make broad statements but you only have a few anecdotes to base it on. I am sympathetic to your situation, it is frustrating to break the unit like you did. But do not generalize. Your unit may have had a weakness but maybe it didn't. My 1030 is from the release time frame, I rode some 30,000km using it. Lots of it is gravel on rough roads. Even some mountain biking. I have the out front mount on all my road bikes, the MTB mount on the MTB and fat bike. The Edge 1030 tabs never broke. I always make sure I insert it properly before locking it into place and I don't force it. I don't know what happened to your unit but do not think these devices break all the time.

• You could try this product. If you cannot screw it just glue it with a strong glue. You will certainly loose the power contacts but if you don't have the battery that's won't be an issue for you. I have no experience with the product, just easily found it with a google search. Good luck.   www.dogearsgps.com/shop

• Easier solution: #Aliexpress US $12.74 15%OFF | TRIGO Computer Mount Insert Kit Back Rotate Cover Replacement for Garmin Computers Rotate Replance Parts
    a.aliexpress.com/_Bf9AA4Oe

• I didn't break the ears of the 1030 but several mounts.

I'm sure the original Garmin unit is sturdy but having an oval bar it doesn't fit. I have those sticking out below the bar (Canyon). First the bars broke but I fixed that with some reinforcement. Now the fastener part itself breaks. The one holding the ears. One pothole (and we have shitloads of them) and it is gone. Couldn't find those from metal.

And as additional info my old 800 never had these problems as it's probalby 50% lighter than "the brick"

• Man, these issues have persisted forever. Edge 800+ as these units got bigger and heavier, they shake more and just CRACK. My record is two back cases in a season. it is honestly negligent engineering as it is preventable. And must fish for replacements in china. What is worse, one time when it cracked the unit flew off at 40 km hr and had to do some surgery to fully repair it. What a shame!!

• Nope, plastic mounts only and broke mine regularly. As these were produced in longtime ago batches, I noticed, predictably, the new replacement cases BROKE FASTER. I even added UV plastic protector as YES asphalt UV for 7000-10000 kms reflecting will wear them out from underneath..