This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Edge 1030 Public Beta 7.85 Now Available

A new Beta software for the Edge 1030 has been released. Full change log, instructions, and software for installing the beta can be found here.

• For any issues that you encounter please fill out the form included in the download and attach it to an email to [email protected]. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you report.
  • Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Changes made from version 7.50 to 7.85:

• Training Load Focus. Low Aerobic, High Aerobic, and Anaerobic stats are tracked over a 4 week window and the user should be able to track what needs to be focused on.
  • Two-way setting sync. Changes to some settings made on the Edge (zones, user profile, etc) will now be uploaded to Garmin Connect.
  • Heat/Altitude Acclimation. Shows user's acclimation to different altitudes and hot/humid environments.
  • ClimbPro. See upcoming climbs while riding a course so you can prepare for needed effort
  • Power Curve tracking has been added to the My Stats menu.
  • Nutrition/Hydration tracking alerts
  • Training Plan Review Page Improvements
  • Workout Comparison Graph. Provides live feedback while executing a workout.
  • Widget Management. Disable and re-order items in the widget loop
  • Bike Theft Alarm*. While armed, get alerted when your Edge device moves.
  • Find My Edge*. Help find a misplaced Edge by making it beep or showing its last known location on your phone.
  • Grit/Flow**
  • Jump Metrics**
  • Added a new Popular data field category and generally improved the data field category order
  • Updated screen creation and editing flow (applies to eBike/STEPS, Lap Summary, Segment, and Data Screen)
  • Ability to swap data fields while in the timer loop on long press instead of edit only (additional tap required)
  • Updated battery icon to be more visible in some places
  • Incident detection setting is now active per profile instead of globally
  • Added ability to hide data screens without deleting them
  • Reordered settings to match the Edge 830, mainly splitting the growing number of settings into Safety & Tracking (Incident Detection, Get Assistance, Contacts, GroupTrack, Bike Alarm) and Connected Features (Phone, WiFi, Device Transfers)
  • Additional small changes and improvements

* Complete functionality requires an upcoming Garmin Connect Mobile release

** Mountain Bike Profile Only

• Looks like my issue was date related.  The 1030 thought it was 8/13/2019.  I got a GPS signal and tested and now it works.

• FitFileRepairTools could fix 60% of your File.

2019-08-15-07-58-02-fixed.zip

• I think I'll wait until this Beta is finalized. Interested in how long it normally takes to go from Beta to the final version. As I recall it was about 2 weeks for 7.50 to be finalized but my memory is not what it used to be.

• Thank you Garmin for this release.  Much happier now that I see work being done!  Dont feel so bad about buying a 945 now.

• Thank you for this update! As someone who purchased an 830 because I never thought the 1030 would get updated successfully with all the features of the other unit, so far I'm very impressed with this. For me, the two work identically other than the TrailForks Forksight integration. I'm happily shocked that bluetooth connection from my 1030 to S7 is just as reliable as 830 which is to say nearly bombproof and at the level of my old 1000. It seems 1030 can't wait to connect to phone either when it's been asleep or powered off. In fact both connect at the same time to GCM and work. Of course only one can use Livetrack at a time. Never thought BT could be fixed to be this reliable for me. I may go back and start using 1030 more regularly now because I like the larger screen better. Kudos, so far

• Thanks for getting back to me, hopefully they add respiration rate and fix some of the glitches reported as my unit works well on 7.5

I hope they reach feature parity with the lower end units soon, if not during this firmware cycle because if someone wants the most advanced analysis, they should not be forced into a compromise with a smaller inferior form factor. I'm still happy, however I hope we get all the stuff except for trailforks mapping as was stated.

• On the connection to the phone. Does GMC have to be running for it to connect? Earlier versions of firmware or perhaps GMC allowed the phone to connect without GCM running. I think it was around firmware 7 that this behavior started.

• Excellent update and in good time.

I just don't understand how Climb Pro works. Help please!

1. After the screen is turned on in the screen settings, will it appear automatically?
    a) Yes
    b) No

2. Where does the Climb Pro screen appear?
    a) On an imported route?
    b) In a common activity?
    c) Both

• For me, I no longer have to worry about whether GCM is running or not, both with 830 and now 1030. If I reboot phone do have to open GCM once to get some service going, but after that, even if I haven't opened it all day and just stick the phone in a pocket without looking at it before turning on Garmin, the device just finds the phone and connects. I didn't even have to reset GCM or redo the BT connection with the 7.85 update. It just connected to what I had. That really surprised me as heretofore, every firmware update of 1030 had required me to reset GCM and BT completely on my phone.

• You have to be using an imported route or course with elevation data for ClimbPro to appear. I use Strava Route creator but RidewithGPS or Garmin Connect or many others will all create an appropriate file. When navigating this course ClimbPro screen will automatically appear as you approach an appropriate climb similar to the way Strava Live Segments work if you've used those. Before you begin riding or navigating you can also go into the Saved Courses area, find your route and when you look at the details screen there will be an option, "Climbs" which shows you all the categorized climbs it found. That helps you know beforehand that it will actually work.