This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DI2 - no connectivity to 1030

I have di2 kit - latest version, with latest firmware.

With my garmin 1000 I can connect to the di2 - with my new garmin 1030 with latest version installed it does not connect no mater how many times I press the shifters.

On my phone I can use the shimano e-tube app to connect to the di2 so I know it's functional.

Other sensors connect fine to the garmin 1030 - such as garmin remote, garmin speed sensor etc.

What do I need to do to get the Garmin 1030 working with the DI2?
  • I definitely think there is a bug in 5.0 that causes Di2 connection to drop quite regularly and reconnect. When it drops, my gear display field shows zeros and buttons to control the Garmin screens from the shifters don't work. Then it reconnects with the message Shift Mode 2 or something like that. I think it is related to BT connection to the phone being enabled. A few days ago I did a 150 mile ride with BT off on the Garmin. The Di2 connection to Garmin was perfectly stable the whole time as it should be. I always got the alerts about the synchro shifting, could always control the Garmin from the shifter buttons and see the gear status. Today I did a 25 mile ride with BT on and connected to my phone. The Di2 connection dropped/reconnected more than a dozen times.

Interesting Rico, I cant get out today to try but will try tomorrow without BT on the phone and see how that goes
  • My Di2 during the ride disconnect and in a moment gets a connection again. It takes a ride all the time. Maybe it is the fault of the BT/ANT+ EW-WU111 module?
  • Another long ride this past weekend 8hrs+ with BT turned off on the 1030 and not a single disconnect from the EW-WU111 module the whole ride. I wonder if this is a similar issue as those with the Edge Remote are having when BT is turned on.
  • Just to add - never had a problem with Di2 and my 1030 until a couple of rides back, when it disconnected part way through the ride and didn't reconnect. And that was my second or third ride on fw 5.0.
  • I also am experiencing the Di2 drop out issue that started right after the version 5.0 update...
  • I definitely think there is a bug in 5.0 that causes Di2 connection to drop quite regularly and reconnect. When it drops, my gear display field shows zeros and buttons to control the Garmin screens from the shifters don't work. Then it reconnects with the message Shift Mode 2 or something like that. I think it is related to BT connection to the phone being enabled. A few days ago I did a 150 mile ride with BT off on the Garmin. The Di2 connection to Garmin was perfectly stable the whole time as it should be. I always got the alerts about the synchro shifting, could always control the Garmin from the shifter buttons and see the gear status. Today I did a 25 mile ride with BT on and connected to my phone. The Di2 connection dropped/reconnected more than a dozen times.

I have never hade any drop outs with my Di2 system (using EW-WU111) from my Edge. I always have BT turned on for connection to my phone. Connection is stable all the time. I have been using the Di2 to Edge combo for about a total of 2200km now and that specific connection works fine, has never dropped out.
    I´m also on FW5.0.
  • I have never hade any drop outs with my Di2 system (using EW-WU111) from my Edge. I always have BT turned on for connection to my phone. Connection is stable all the time. I have been using the Di2 to Edge combo for about a total of 2200km now and that specific connection works fine, has never dropped out.
    I´m also on FW5.0.

Loppan, like you I have had 1000's of Km with no drop outs whatsoever alas on previous software versions.

But since I (and others here) updated to Ver 5 I have been experiencing regular drop-outs. Without exaggeration at least every 5-10 mins, and the constant nag notice of "Di2 Mode 1" notice of the sync mode.

And on my recent ride with a fully charged Di2 battery, 80K into the ride LOW battery warning!!

BT re-connects again within 10-20 secs with out a problem, but repeating myself this all started with the update to Ver5

As mentioned above I have tried with the BT disconnected to my phone, but this didn't make any difference.

I have checked and rechecked the Di2 connections, in particular to the Di2 module (EW-WU111) and I have all Di2 components up to date via Etube

All very frustrating to say the least :(
  • Loppan, like you I have had 1000's of Km with no drop outs whatsoever alas on previous software versions.

But since I (and others here) updated to Ver 5 I have been experiencing regular drop-outs. Without exaggeration at least every 5-10 mins, and the constant nag notice of "Di2 Mode 1" notice of the sync mode.

And on my recent ride with a fully charged Di2 battery, 80K into the ride LOW battery warning!!

BT re-connects again within 10-20 secs with out a problem, but repeating myself this all started with the update to Ver5

As mentioned above I have tried with the BT disconnected to my phone, but this didn't make any difference.

I have checked and rechecked the Di2 connections, in particular to the Di2 module (EW-WU111) and I have all Di2 components up to date via Etube

All very frustrating to say the least :(

Yeh that's must be very frustration indeed with so many drop-outs. The only problem I have hade regaring the Di2 is a "Low battery" warning once at at that time the battery was 80% charged. This was at startup when the Edge found the Di2 after power up.

It is strange the it can be so different.
    Prior to updating to FW5.0 you hadn't this problems t all or did you have them even than but it got worse after update?
    Where do you have the EW-WU111 placed on the bike?
  • I have about 4000 miles on Edge1030 and Di2 with EW-WU111, and no problems since I updated the firmware on EW-WU111 after 100 miles or so - it would lock up Di2, with Di2 only coming back to life after draining or disconnecting Di2 battery. Note that you can ONLY update EW-WU111 firmware through wired connection and e-tube on a PC/laptop. All other Di2 components can be updated on the mobile e-tube app, but not EW-WU111. I am about to do my first ride tonight with Edge 1030 on v5.0 - you guys have me worried now that it will no longer be stable... oh, and yes, I see Di2 battery status, gear ratio, etc. on the Edge 1030.
  • Actually the EW-WU111 can only be updated via BLE.