This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Swim - comparable Garmin models?

Not getting any responses in the Swim forum so I’m trying here:

I have an original Garmin Swim - it works well enough for me, but I'm looking for an upgrade.

What's a good recommendation for a Garmin watch that has 1) Hear Rate monitor, and 2) some way to record steps?

Basically, a FitBit-type smartwatch that also does swim.  And I'm looking for an everyday wear, not just for swim.

What I don't know is: do the other Garmin activity watches work the same way as the Swim?  I'm used to the button layout.  Left button to get into swim mode, then the two right buttons to start and stop total and lap times.

Thanks.

• The biggie is OWS - Open Water Swim.

All Garmins track steps, most track pool laps, the next step is OWS.

Garmin Swim and Swim II both have OWS.  The highest end models Marq and Fenix have OWS. Lastly the triathlon models have open water swim.

Of all the current models that have step counts, lap swimming counts, and open water swim the entry-level triathlon watch is the newest.   Garmin Forerunner 265. I've been thinking about getting one.  I currently have the older, larger, Garmin Forerunner 745 triathlon watch now.

• Thanks for that.

I won’t be doing OWS, pool only.  I do use the treadmill occasionally when I can’t get to the pool.

I hadn’t thought about the multiple workout part.  So a basic tri or multi-sport would pretty much cover me.  

Also, I want an everyday watch. I currently have a well worn Casio G-Shock that’s been  used hard.  I started looking at the Instinct now.  I’ll take a look at the manual and see how easy it is to use while swimming.  I’m very used to the start/stop/lap buttons on the Swim.  I hope Garmin has standardized that across their other watches.

• If you don't care about OWS, close to 100% of the Garmin lineup will do steps, treadmill, and pool swimming.

Look at all the styles and pick which one you like and what you can afford. I have never owned one but the Epix, Tactix, Instinct 2, etc are all in G-shock arena.  

If swimming is your #1, there are better choices, but it sounds like you want something for all-around basic stuff. You can't go wrong.

• Thx for the help.  I was getting too caught up in a swim specific watch.

I got the Swim when I started swimming as a workout.  It can do way more than I use it for.  I lap swim and use it for tracking distance.  Sometimes I’ll time a drill, but mostly just distance tracking.  From what I’ve been finding, the swim functions on almost all the multi function Garmins will do that.  I do use the treadmill and my Fitbit can record heart rate and other info.  My G-Shock is my everyday timekeeper.  More and more it’s looking like any of their watches will work.  Then I can retire the Swim (it stays in my swim bag), the Fitbit (not daylight readable, so useless outdoors), and the G-Shock (which is having trouble holding a charge over winter when the solar charging system doesn’t get enough sunlight for a strong charge).

• Garmin is a pretty good company. There are also a few other good alternatives.

Watch technology has skyrocketed in the last year.  The world's finest multi-function watch from five years ago can't hold a candle to pretty much anything available now. 

I like Garmins, get a Forerunner 265, or a Venu 2 plus, and I think you'll be happy for a couple more years.

• Hi, I like my Swim2 very much, altough the battery is getting worse (It was never great) and it is not a beatiful watch to use all day.
    My Fenix 5s and Fénix 6pro both had problems with the water from the pool.
    The latest Forerunners (e.g. 255) are very good models, both for swim and to wear and do other activities.

• Thanks for the feedback.  Even though a tri-watch, like a Forerunner, is going to be overkill for my workout purposes, they do seem more purpose designed to be able to handle chlorinated pool water.  I’m in the pool approximately 5hrs/week and the treadmill for 3 miles at a time, but not very often.