This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incorrect counting of 25 meter swimming pools

This watch has a technological drawback: I have been swimming regularly for over 15 years and have been using the Swimm 2 for 8 months swimming in the 25m pool, 1000-2000m freestyle and 100-200 breaststroke. Once in 10 workouts, the Swimm 2 watch will tell you the correct distance, and most often it "loses" from 1 to 3 or even 4 pools! Besides, it has problems with the correct recognition of the swimming style: classic and freestyle mixes with backstroke! Sometimes Swimm 2 will add additional pools - I have had one additional pool added two or three times. Garmin's technical support has been saying for 8 months that my swimming style is a problem, that I make uncontrolled and uncoordinated movements, that I swim at an uneven pace, that my stroke cadence is too low, that I have a wrong turn, etc. If my swimming style were an issue, Swimm 2 would not count the remaining pools correctly, yet it does count 36-39 out of 40 or 54-59 out of 60 pools swam correctly! So my swimming style is not a problem! The problem is a serious technological flaw of this model! Garmin is cheating on its customers by offering this model for swimmers! They advise me to wear Swimm 2 on the second wrist to set the correct pool length and the appropriate units / meters not different / - for 8 months they have been treating me like an imbecile giving such advice! I have already had two exchanges of this Swimm 2 product and the third watch shows the same disadvantages: it most often leaves 1 to 4 pools in 40-60 pools swam in the first 200 meters! He usually reports the rest of the distance correctly. Its other activity and fitness tracking functions work fine, although sometimes the GPS does not record your bike or running route very accurately: the path may run a few meters alongside! Apart from these swimming disadvantages, it's OK - but it's a smartwatch for swimmers! Absurd!

• Yes, I have the fexin 6 and the results are inconsistent as well.   open water is much better than pool swimming for sure.   Freestyle seems most accurate.  I take 21 strokes for 25 yrds. Always.  My watch does maintain this count/lap.   Training drills of kick laps are not counted either.     Glad to hear its not just me.  I have spent month trying to get better results.

• My swim2 is doing the same thing!  I swim the distance of the pool. It's 25 yards.  For the first 4 times, it is correct and indicates I swam 25 yards each tine, cumulative 100.  Then, I swim sane thing 25 yards and it says 50!  And 50 again, then it may give me 75 for a 25 yard swim!  
    I returned the watch, got a replacement and the second watch is doing the SAME thing! 

• To all, I sincerelly suggest to, PLEASE, read the Manual.
    Swimming is the most technically demanding sport. Give yourself a break and, please, do not blame the Swim2...
    I know my defficiencies, athough I swim for more than 15 years and done dozens of Triathlons, open water and pool racing events. I also know the limitations of the watches when "trying" to understand what is going on with you...
    For me it is a MIRACLE what Garmin (and others) have done! Be cool and try to swim, focus your rage correctly, in the water, please... 

• I'm glad it works for you.  I know for a fact that the pool is 25 yards long and the watch sometimes indicates I swam 25 (great) and sometimes indicates I swam 50 (not cumulative - but one length) and sometimes says I swam 75 in one length!  It makes NO sense.  No reading of the manual will correct that. 

• It does work for most of the people, most of the time, of course. You just have to be aware that neither you or the watch are perfect (although it is about perfect in a 25m pool), i.e., it is enough just to slow an arm in the middle of the pool, or just take a longer glance at the Swim2, that it will assume that you've reach the end and started another "length".
    I don't care, really, it does work PERFECTLY when, at the 50m pool, I'm doing the workouts (10x100 or 5x200, whatever...)  and I know that it WILL NOT WORK when I'm doing drills or 100 medley in the same 50m pool (as I change style at the middle).

• I have been swimming for 40 years - regularly for over 15 years. I own a Swimm 2 and a Fenix 7 - both smartwatches have the same - repeated quite often - errors in counting swum pools! I also own a Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro and - surprisingly - this smartwatch counts the swum pools accurately always! I usually swim 1000 metres freestyle, or 40 pools. Garmins very often lose 2 or 3 lengths or add 2 or 3 lengths. Accurate counting is the exception with these Garmins! I point out that I always swim alone on the pool course at a steady pace, in a fairly good smoth style. I have read the manual many times! This is poor advice, my friend! Besides, these Garmin smartwatches can't distinguish between freestyle and classic: they often confuse these styles, just as they can turn backstroke into classic! Good thing I know what style I was swimming when! :)

• my swim 2 (and also my old swim1) never had a problem counting laps, both 25m and 50m laps. Always perfect with all styles except when I need to change styles during a lap to overcome the slow ones (but it is written in the manual that this is not regular). So, perfect your style, get your turns right and don't blame your watch.

• Yep, what I've said... Wink

• Same issue, I just upgraded from the vivoactive3 to the forerunner 255.  A significantly higher end watch and it constantly adds 25 yards onto my swim.  I never had an issue with the vivoactive3 even though it is an older model.  What gives,  I could see if this is a occasional issue but it is happening every time.  Hoping a software update will resolve this but seeing all the comments here doesn't give me much hope for that.