This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Lost my swim, don't understand LAP/BACK button

Hi there

Apologies if this has already been covered. Bought a Garmin Swim 2 to log mainly pool lap swims in a 25m pool (UK). Tried it out tonight, total dissapointment.

I have a written workout, today was 2000m (80 lengths). First of all I did 200m front crawl, this was the first set. I did not realise I had to press the start/stop button to start the activity, I thought the watch would automatically detect the swim and just start recording like on the samsung health watch. 

Anyway when I realised the first set had not recorded, I re-swam it after switching the start/stop button on. I carried on my sets according to my written workout. The distance recorded accurately for 1450m continuous swimming. And I was hoping that when I went back to the app I would get all the details as advertised for the watch. 

Got out of the pool as I needed to go to the toilet, had drank a lot of water. I did not know what to do with the watch. I know there is a rest feature but I did not press it as I was scared what would happen, would I lose the recorded 1450m? So when I went to the toilet, the distance carried on going up!! I wasn't even swimming and it went up to 1475m. 

Went back to pool, carried on swimming but the counter did not carry on moving. I swam 4 lengths and 100m did not record. So I then pressed lap/back button and the watch started vibrating, beeping and freaking me out. I had no idea what was going on. It then seemed to want to record a new interval, and I could no longer see the 1450m from before. So I just scrolled down and discarded but that appears to have discarded whatever had recorded. I carried on without recording for 1800m and got out disappointed. 

When I later went to Garmin Connect App, the swim was not there in activities but something called Move IQ has detected that I swam for 46 minutes. It detected it as a swim so I just manually entered the activity as a 1800m swim for 46 minutes. 

Can anyone tell me what I need to press if I want to pause the tracker for a couple of minutes to go to the toilet, and resume when I get back. I don't want it to be a new interval, it needs to carry on adding to the previous metres so that I can see when I get to 2000m. Why did the watch freak out and start vibrating and beeping when I pressed LAP/BACK? Isn't that what you're supposed to do? Why did the swim distance carry on when I got out of the pool, and why did it stop when I got back in? 

Also am I supposed to keep the Auto pause feature on or off if I want to manually stop to go to the toilet and continue when I get back? I have watched all the youtube tutorials available for this watch and still cannot understand what I am supposed to do. I want to be able to see the whole activity even after a pause. Do I have to record it as two intervals? And will the first interval remain? 

Also can you go back to the main screen during a swim? I hit back and wasn't sure if the swim would carry on recording. 

Thank you in advance for any help. 

• Can anyone tell me what I need to press if I want to pause the tracker for a couple of minutes to go to the toilet, and resume when I get back. I don't want it to be a new interval, it needs to carry on adding to the previous metres so that I can see when I get to 2000m.

I don't think you can do this with a garmin watch. If you stop swimming and start doing something else (like going to the toilet) you need to press the lap button to start a rest period. Otherwise the watch will be confused and might add an unpredictable distance. So if you want one continuous interval you need to keep swimming without pausing.

am I supposed to keep the Auto pause feature on or off if I want to manually stop to go to the toilet and continue when I get back?

I'd keep autopause off.

Do I have to record it as two intervals?

Yes.

And will the first interval remain? 

Yes.

• Thank you for your help. I will be back with more questions shortly after testing the watch again. Another thing that has happened is that I have lost the default watch face. I can see  this has been discussed previously so will look at those answers and hope it works.