This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Swim 2 Atrocious Lap Calibration!!0

I have just obtained an expensive Garmin Swim 2 Watch which replaced my Garmin Swim 1 watch.

I set the watch for 50 meter laps and just swam 30 laps of North Sydney Pool I.e. 30 laps = 1500 meters. This watch gave a data feedback of 1650 meters!!!! I am a frequent lap swimmer typically swimming 1 to 1.5 km at this pool and have done so about 50 times in the  last three months. In addition I have swim over 760 pools worldwide and am working toward 1000 pools!

The Garmin Swim 1 was also poor for Lap calibration such that I gave up using it for swimming!

However, this is simply quite unacceptable for the Garmin Swim 2. Please advise on an exact fix for this problem ASAP!!

• Try these tips:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=iS2KcmGiVb4djrE1lri8i7

If they don't work for you, then your only option is to return the watch.

• Thanks for this tip. This support link is very useful with lots of good details and tips. However, none of the main issues highlighted are a clear problem (Very Very experienced lap swimmer, North Sydney Pool would one of the most famous lap pools in the world with over 82 world records broken in it and very clearly a 50m pool, freestyle is the clear style used, I also never rest mid-length and usually do my total swim non-stop start to finish). Possibly the only area where there might be an issue is the turn at end of each lap which is mainly a push off with my feet and not a tumble turn - although that should be reasonably clear as a transition).

Any other thoughts?

• a push off with my feet and not a tumble turn

This shouldn't be an issue as long as you do a short glide after the push-off.

Sorry, I don't have any other advice for you. I had the first Garmin Swim and it always worked for me with 100% accuracy.

• Thanks for this response. I will see if these measurements can be improved with some more swim sessions, although I want to avoid having my Apple Health data Dashboard polluted with incorrect swimming data from the Garmin device..

• All Garmin watch have the same capability to detect turns. Use the following link to edit the log file, this should give you 100% correct data.

http://www.swimmingwatchtools.com/

If you do not like it, use whatever brand makes you satisfied.

• I have now tried out tips from this link and other tips suggested that are linked to this posting - thanks to those who kindly offered good advice.

Unfortunately, this watch has become worse going from recording 1600 metres for 1500 metres (30 laps) to 1950 metres for 1500 metres (also 30 laps). This was after focusing on turns and consistent strokes over the 30 laps. I really should not have to set up drill defined laps for such a basic swimming activity. The Garmin Swim 2 is a very expensive unfit for purpose device.

I have regrettably elected to return this device via AMAZON..