This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

if u wear it with left hand,backstroke will be recorded as as breaststroke,can this be fixed?

if u wear it with left hand,backstroke will be recorded as as breaststroke,can this be fixed?

my backstroke is good not my skill problem。and other equipment can record my backstroke correctly

• They only have accelerometers, which are limited in differentiating strokes. I am an experienced swimmer and it routinely gets confused. Also their may be slight differences in the stroke pattern between your arms that confuse it while on the left. Seems to work well for some people and not others.  

• What is really interesting, that it really does matter on which wrist do you wear the watch during swim. Theoretically my strokes are symmetrical, or at least with front crawl I use bilateral breathing. I swim mostly front crawl.

When the watch is on the left wrist - front crawl is mostly misdetected as breaststroke or backstroke, backstroke detection is mostly fine, breaststroke detection is totally fine, butterfly got some hit in the last half year, but detected about 50% free and 50% backstroke .

Today I put the watch on the right wrist - front crawl detected 100% freestyle! Backstroke got some breaststroke hit. Butterfly was misdetected as free as expected.

As a bonus, if watch is worn on the right wrist in OW, track is nearly always perfect, if on the left one, track is mostly a mess.

According to the settings.fit file, the watch is configured in the factory to be worn on the left wrist (not configurable). Go figure, Swim2 accepts the opposite wrist...

• They should work on either wrist. Back in the days when we had pools :-( I sometimes switched to my 735xt to my right wrist because of head ons with people passing from other (left) lane side to avoid smashing it. I never had a problem. I wasnt' paying attention to stroke type though since that hasn't been accurate on my left anyway.

• Same problem with the Venu... but few Venu wearers seem to swim.  

Stroke detection is pretty inaccurate.  Since I tend to be very consistent (same pattern 3x weekly for several decades), I'd prefer to be able to give it hints, defining what to look for.

Shy of that, any tips on how to give it a better shot?  Less glide? 

• Given the variability across swimmers, it is pretty difficult to accurately detect strokes across users since it uses simple accelerometers. At the wrist level, how would it discern free vs butterfly without knowing what the other arm is doing? Possibly 2 accelerations per stroke for free, but the butterfly kick could cause the same. *** and back seem more obvious but I am an experienced swimmer and it often confuses these. It is hard to say what makes it better without knowing your stroke beyond trial and error. But better stroke for detection isn't necessarily better stroke for efficient swimming. Most people just correct it in Garmin Connect (if they care). Good luck.