This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Feature wish list

Any chance of the following being added?

1. when doing swimming pool workouts and the countdown is on, can the countdown time be displayed on the screen? At the moment it's just beeps, which are hard to hear in a crowded pool

2. Can we have fully customisable rest screens

3. Can we have configurable lap distances in open water?

4. Can we have the screen backlight while running,? I can't see it at night.

And can you fix the very slow GPS fix time? It can take 5-10 mins, even with version 2.3

Thanks.

• [Pool Swimming / Watch] Be able to see the stroke type alongside the intervals and timings at history level so that we can review our past swim sessions

• and power sensor recognition for 'bike'

and add "yoga"

• Hi there,

Adding strength training or functional training app so that you could get your dryland workout there. I don't need the watch to detect reps or do fancy things, just having my list of exercises and navigate the intervals. Ex Interval A: A1. Squat 3x8, A2. Pallof press 3x8...

If you really are a swimmer or only swim

a) your most likely second activity is at the gym. The f... dryland

b) things like "cardio" may be redundant. Dryland is the priority for a swimmer, not extra cardio-conditioning out of the pool. That's what you do when swimming.

If you are a triathlete you are most likely on a different watch.

If you are making a watch targeting the swimmers that:

-don't want to swim with an anchor on the wrist, 945 or Fenix,

-or don't need those amazing features they have

-or don't want watches with incomplete swimming features

then again the priority above other things is having your gym workout there. A structured LIST of intervals, your exercises, reps, weights would be enough.

We can live without logging details or automatic detection. We're swimmers. Just the list. This would save us from carrying our mobile phones or paper sheets all around the gym.

Thank you,

Best,

As this is for swimmers, think as swimmers.

• As a swimmer/biker/recreational athlete:

Could not DISAGREE more! Measuring gym workout with a watch is nonsense. You can use paper. When I used to go to the gym, Idid that, it was more than enough for progression.

FR945 is not an anchor, just way too expensive, and overinflated with unnecessary things.

You can use "Cardio" as a general activity log, and you can change activity type afterwards. You can have laps, and you can add reps, weight, exercise, etc. as a comment.

Do not think that all swimmers think like you!

• You may want to read it again. 

a) The request is not about measuring a gym workout. But having the a navigable list of exercises and not using a workaround such the one you are suggesting. This is basic functionality.

b) Tough measuring strength is not the request there are watches in the Garmin family doing that (whether it made sense or not)

c) Not asking to remove any present feature.

d) While the 945/Fenixes have reduced their weight they still weight around 30-40% more and are thicker.

There's no swimmer (true swimmer, pro, master or amateur) that doesn't have strength/functional routine as a core activity. While other activities are occasional and vary from person to person tastes.

I may be wrong but my view is that this one is specific for swimmers and isn't covering one of the core swimmer routines. If it fits for the recreational athlete and likes it, well, fantastic. (not the other way around)

Although not the point, for the "recreational" and multisport athlete there are other watches with many different pricing entries. (which are designed for these types of athletes)

PS:

Sure, I don't think all swimmers think like me. Despite the request isn't harmful to them.

But also don't think all people who swims is a "swimmer" (despite conditioning, pace and endurance)

• Fully agree with  regarding swimming features. I'm using GS2 only for swimming. I need it only to count the distance, the laps, the strokes and the time. Anything else is nice to have. Unfortunately the number of strokes is not as accurate as on the old GS and also the stroke type recognition fails from time to time (but pretty seldom).

Unfortunately the market for pure/primarily swimming watches is pretty small. This is imo also the reason why no other vendor brought something similar to GS to the market and also why it took so long to bring GS2 to the market. From a marketing perspective, Garmin took imo the right decisions regarding GS2: take an existing platform (this is my guess, keeps dev and prod costs low), strip down some features (and maybe also some hardware), add GPS and wrist heart rate monitoring (afaik currently the watch with the best results when it comes to wrist heart rate monitoring in the warter and open water GPS tracking), make the watch more versatile (steps, activity minutes, etc.) and hence interesting for a broader market segment. Let's call it health aficionados with more or less regular swimming sessions (pool and/or open water).

Keeping this in mind, I don't think, that Garmin will add completely new features with new firmware versions. If the platform would be open to new widgets (not only new watch faces), maybe some 3rd party developers would develop additional widgets. But I'm not sure, if GS2 allows 3rd party widgets like other watches do.

But there is hope for GS3 in 3y ;) Considering that the battery is probably done after 3-4y, it would make sense for Garmin, to bring a GS3 (or something similar) in 3y with a ton of new features ;)

• I believe in the event many of us send straight to Garmin https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/ it might get some attraction