This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Swim2 Bug lists SW version 2.30

This is a collection for the bugs remained or introduced at 2.30 (edited after some clarification, last edit 03.06.2020)

- Weekly swim total is wrong after the update (I am not sure if it was ok ever...). Weekly total is correct after a new week begins.

- In open water, even if the units are set to metric, the distance, and distance alerts are displayed in yards.. Solution is to go to settings, units, select statute, then select meters again. 

- auto lock does not work

- Personal record saving do not support 33 and 1/3m pools. With 33 and 1/3m pools, 3 lengths are not considered as 100m, but something very close, but not EXACTLY 100m. Wth this bug the watch can not recognize the laps as exact lengths, causing not record saving.

- In history, when browsing intervals, first page correct (intervals 1-4), then next is intervals 5-8, but if you browse up to 1-4 and back to 5-8 it changes to intervals 4-7. You still can browse between 1-4 and 4-7. If you browse further down, suddenly you lose the first 4 intervals. But it depends of the actual number of intervals, and the interval history can go a bit mad. (very similar issue can be read for Forerunner 45 as well, see FR45 forum, bug reports after 3.10) - with new activities this seems to be corrected in 2.30

Unfortunately the history is still not perfect. My last two swims, recorded with 2.30 still have problems when seeing the history, and scrolling back and forth. Some laps still disappear. Interestingly while reproducing with drill log (the fastest way to generate many laps), the history seems to be correct. But with swim recording (or in the room shaking the watch to generate lengths and laps) it still has the problem.

- auto lap can be set for OW swim only for 0.5 km or miles, can not be changed to individual distances

- backlight control is faulty. "During activity" and "not during activity" are not separate options, they are connected somewhat. You either turn off backlight completely or turn it on completely, but can not separate the behavior depending on activity or watch mode. (option is available, but during and not during activity settings affect each other)

- Massive GPS drift with OW swims. Watch is useless for OW swim! - actually the watch gets OW distance/pace information from both the accelerometers and GPS. If GPS is lost, accelerometer data is used, but when GPS found, it simply adds up GPS distance, resulting overinflated swim distance.  - This is NOT a bug actually. When OW tracks are recorded well, they are extremely good. If symptoms are: in pace chart constant pace, then suddenly very fast pace spike, then the same constant pace, etc. , map track is uncomplete, just some straight lines, many times do not follow the real path, then disable all of the extra features, switch off bluetooth during swim, perform soft reset, use standard watch face, check the track. If track is good, slowly add back features what you need.

- Data screen customization is a complete mess. I could not find a logic in that, but recently I had to perform a factory reset, and add the data screens back to my liking. Nearly after each change the watch changed the data fields to something different. As an addition to that, this bug might be a major contributor for the occasional inability of OW swim tracking.

• Data screen customization is a complete mess. I could not find a logic in that, but recently I had to perform a factory reset, and add the data screens back to my liking. Nearly after each change the watch changed the data fields to something different. As an addition to that, this bug might be a major contributor for the occasional inability of OW swim tracking.

• Regarding the backlight: Indeed the options exists, but the following cases exists:

Case 1:

During activity -> Gesture->on

Not During activity-> Gesture-> off

Result:

During activity: Not working (correct)

Not during activity: Not working (false)

Case 2:

During activity -> Gesture->on

Not During activity-> Gesture-> on

Result:

During activity: working (correct)

Not during activity: working (correct)

Case 3:

During activity -> Gesture->off

Not During activity-> Gesture-> on

Result:

During activity: working (false)

Not during activity: working (correct)

Case 3:

During activity -> Gesture->off

Not During activity-> Gesture-> off

Result:

During activity: not working (correct)

Not during activity: not working (correct)

Conclusion:

Although the separate option exists for during an activity, as it is  apparent from cases 1, 3 it is not actually working.

Please do ask your testers to try cases 1 and 3 and will be able to recreate the problem.

Finally if you have trouble recreating it, let me know and I will send you a video.

• Some additional bugs that I've found in version 2.30:

1. I have recorded two open water swims. But the Last Swim display (when scrolling down from the clock display) does not show the last swim. Instead the message appears: “Save an activity to view data”. Do only pool swims appear here? If so, why not open water?
    2. The watch is configured to display in metric. However, the This Week summary displays the metric distance in small print and the imperial distance (in yards) with a very large font. It also displays the pace in /100 yards. Why show yards at all if the watch is configured for metric display?
    3. When swimming in open water, when coming to a complete stop (with feet planted on the ground and arm not moving), the watch continues to count additional metres of distance and shows a pace. It takes several seconds before the distance stops counting and the pace goes down to zero. Perhaps because the GPS position is drifting, but the accelerometer in the watch should show no movement.
    4. Even though I have settings in metric, my user information (height and weight) are being modified in feet and pounds.
    5. Even though I have settings in metric, my history information for swimming and cycling activities in shown in yards, not meters.
    6. When paired to Garmin Connect desktop software on Windows 10, the black Swim Watch 2 appears on the device list, and not the actual white-color version. The Garmin Forerunner watch is shown in the correct color, for instance.
  • Has this (incorrect weekly totals) been resolved?

• 1. There are two different widgets, one for OW and one for pool swims. Possibly you saw the pool swim widget. Add OW.

2., 4., 5. This is an update fault in Garmin equipments, it seems that it affects many of them. Even if it is set to metric, set to statute in the watch, and set it back. This should solve the issue

3. There can be several causes to this. The watch continuously calculates your next position, so it needs a bit of time to find that you stopped. I think that up to about 10 meters this kind of drift is totally acceptable.

If you experience massive change after you stop, that is a different issue, watch loses GPS signal during swim, and when you stop, and keep it over the surface, it catches up and adds distance. This is really annoying, but right now Garmin adds accelerometer guesswork as well in case of GPS loss. 

6. Garmin uses general picture for displaying device in GC. I think that this is completely unimportant if you see a black, white, purple, rainbow, anything color as a demonstrating picture.

• See my original post, corrected months ago:

Weekly swim total is wrong after the update (I am not sure if it was ok ever...). Weekly total is correct after a new week begins