This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS Open Water error

Problem with GPS during open water swimming. When I use my Garmin swim 2 in Open Water, the distance that is recorded is largely inflated (like once it indicated 2 km while I swam 500m maximum). If I come back on the shore and just stand on the beach, the distance is still increasing even if I do not move. This happens with the 3 different modes. At the same time, the GPS of the running mode works perfectly on land.

• I have similar problem when running

My garmin swim 2 has huge problems on cloudy days findig GPS signal, it useless when it cloudy outside. It even doesn't know where im starting and where finish a track when running. One it placed my whole activity aprox 3km in another direction on the map

• Actually cloud cover does not affect GPS strength.

http://gpsinformation.net/gpsclouds.htm

but you can find many sources claiming this.

Make sure that your CPE file is current ("About" menu item, scroll until you get info - scroll 1 up, or many down). Fastest CPE refreshing procedure is to sync with GarminExpress via cable. I think BT sync can work as well, but it needs longer time. Or put the watch untouched outside with GPS set to ON for 15-20 minutes.

If the track is still shifted, make a clock sync.

• I have the same problem with distance tracking. I swim free style only and still inflates the distance by about 1.5 average. I noticed your post was 11 months ago, has Garmin fixed the problem or responded to these claims?

• Apparently not if you are still having this issue. I have the same issue with the fenix 6x pro. Very unfortunate, but it doesn't seem to affect everyone. It must be our swim technique. Although, I didn't have this issue with other Garmin watches in the past

• Garmin solved the doubling issue with 2.40 SW version (I had no chance to test with 2.50, as it is winter here).

However if constant GPS loss occurs, the watch still calculates distance from accelerometer data. In case your stroke rate is too fast compared to your pace, over measurement might be still massive.

I still think that Garmin should work on GPS detection though. As I mentioned above several times, the watch on my right wrist is always perfect, but on my left wrist it always loses GPS signal immediately.

• I have this problem as well: I have recently acquired a Garmin Swim 2 which I like very much for pool swimming. However, I noticed during my first open water swim yesterday that the watch keeps incrementing the distance when I am resting and not moving in the water. I have tried opening Open Water swim tracking while I am on land on a cloudless day with a good view of the sky (no buildings around me) and found that even though I am in exactly the same spot, about every 20 seconds or so, the watch adds a metre to my distance. I am using GPS version 2.90 and watch software 2.50 (the latest version).

• That's simple GPS drift, it is a limitation from the technology, and not a bug. Drifting 1m every 20 seconds is not a big deal (33 minutes/100m pace). If you are swimming/moving, this drift is eliminated.

You can experience the same issue with any GPS device, also with running, biking, etc. But in that case as the measurements are in km or mile, for drifting any noticeable amount you need to stay steady for long.

• Unfortunately I move country 8 months ago and for the moment, I can swim in open water here yet  (yes.... I am really sad about it). But 8 months ago, I still had the issue. I have to try the chenge of wrist