This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Stroke detection: comparison test between Garmin Swim 2 and Garmin Swim.

Garmin Swim 2 (software version 2.10) versus Garmin Swim 1.

I made a swim test with both GS1 and GS2 on the same arm. I observed that:

1) with pace around 1:20/100m, freestyle is generally wrongly recognised as butterfly by GS2; 

2) with pace around 1:35/100m, freestyle is correctly detected by GS2;

3) backstroke is always (always!) recognised as breaststroke by GS2.

GS1, on the other hand, has never missed an hit in this comparison test (as in more than 4 years of swimming in the pool).

I only had two swims with the GS2 but honestly I'm a little disappointed. I hope for an update.

Opinions?

• I have the same experience.  I swim all four strokes and have used Garmin Swim for several years.  It only rarely misidentified a stroke (occasionally interpreting breaststroke as "other").  Swim 2 is useless for *** and butterfly and not much better for back.  On a chat session with Garmin Support, they stated this is "something that has been reported" and are working on correcting with a software update.  I don't know if the beta for 2.20 addresses this.

• I have the watch for 1 month now and I swim every day with it. In the last 4 days I do a workout with freestyle/breaststroke/backstroke styles and the clock was spot on every time. 

My pace is much slower than yours , around 2.30/100m, not sure if that makes any difference . It detects the backstroke just fine , the only time it changes to breaststroke is when I do something unusual (like not moving the hands continuously in backstroke).

Hope it helps.

• I experienced the same, backstroke detection is completely fine. (2.20 beta). My freestyle is misdetected at least by 50% as breaststroke, but it was the same with FR910XT as well (maybe too slow stroke rate). I can not provoke any butterfly detection at all, no matter how many butterfly lengths I swim.

•  I have 2.20 beta too. The only problem I have (but very rarely)  is sometimes the one lap is split into two laps (e.g. if I do 1 lap of 25m in 30sec, I can see 2 laps 25m each with 14sec first lap + 16sec second lap). 

I guess it all depends on your swimming patterns. I've borrowed the watch to a friend for a couple of days and he's having the same problems with backstroke detected as breaststroke.

• : what a petty that I didn't read your post before I bought Swim 2 a few days ago. The old Garmin Swim was so accurate (for my swimming), that I couldn't even imagine, that Swim 2 has so many issues, even with the old features, that are working perfect on the old Garmin Swim.

Same here with firmware 2.30. If I swim (short course) at ±17s per lap or faster, the chances are pretty high, that freestyle is detected as butterfly. Never happened at slower paces.

The stroke count is also 1-2 more than on Garmin Swim (and than I counted), but not on single laps. It looks like Swim 2 adds 1-2 strokes on each turn. Doesn't matter if flip turn or open turn.