Recent Crazy Maximum Heart Rates

Hi, 

Since the 1st August I've had a number of crazy maximum heart rate readings.

• My max heart rate is around 186, but on 7 occasions since the 1st August my heart rate has gone way above this, sometimes going as high as 222, but not during any of my sessions. 

The latest reading was on Sunday just gone. I attach a screenshot of the day. I went out for an easy run in the evening during which my heart rate didn't go above 150.

The rest of the day there's been no spikes so I'm really confused why it's registering as 218 on this day.

Definitely didn't go high during the run as I watch it like a hawk, and during the day no stress and no high readings registered on the graph. 

I have a Forerunner 965 and use the Garmin Hrm-Pro strap during the runs. 

Assuming this is a software issue... Any ideas? 

• so I'm really confused why it's registering as 218 on this day

It is not registering, but estimating based on HR and HRV data, even if the peak HR from that data is (far) below the Max HR.

Even with a chest strap it is however possible to get erroneous data that throws the Max HR estimation off: dryness, static electricity, strap wear and tear, battery, etc.

Putting aside the chances of errors during data collection, you can confirm your Max HR if your doctor lets you run very intense workouts, or if you are a trained running. The test that works best for me is to get the peak HR from your best 5k ever (yes that one where you felt you were going to fall through, not run through the finish line). Take the peak HR of that PB and add 5bpm.

There are plenty of other tests online. I recommend avoiding tests based on intense intervals as the muscles exhaustion might make you think you are at your Max HR, but you are not. Longer steady accelerating ramp workouts are better.

• I will sometimes get a HR reading over 200 after I have removed the HRM from my chest.

• Weird it's only just started doing this, and that the graph doesn't show the spike.

At least my heart isn't about to pop though Relaxed 

• This issue is relatively known and is related to the HRM-Pro continuing to take heart rate measurements even after it's been removed. There's a reference to the issue here: Bug: Erroneous High Heart Rate data

• I disconnected the HRM-PRO BT connection to App on my phone to avoid this. Not the LT solution but helps in Short term.