Forerunner 965 half marathon training

Training for a half marathon with Coach Amy (I’m about 5 weeks in). All of the runs in my plan are the same pace. I haven’t had any speed runs, tempo runs, or hill runs. Is this normal or?

• Did you set a time goal or just a “finish goal”? How far out is your race?

• Time goal. I’m finishing week 5 out of 17 weeks. Race is November 9th. 

• Does the race predictor say you will already meet that goal? If so, the I would expect the training to focus on maintaining your fitness and not improving it.

Garmin does focus a lot on base running especially in the first 1/3 of a training plan. I would expect to see some other types of training but not a ton tossed in.

• With Coach Amy you should start to see one "Speed repeats" workout per week and one "Tired run." If the plan doesn't seem to be progressing, go into the plan settings and change the long run day to force it to recalculate.

I found Amy's workouts to be more boring than Greg's, though I got injured doing Greg so maybe the boring was better. Also I kind of maxed out the Amy plan - Garmin had my race time well under my goal which I knew was wrong. My heart rate is on the low side and it messes up the algorithms. Like I said, of the plan gets confused, change your long run day, save it, then change it back.