Correct training for aerobic base

Hi to all!

I apologize but I don't know correct term in english....

I started Garmin training for 10K but several runners told me it was not correct doing this before building an "aerobic base" (is this the correct term in english?), so I need a lot of work at low hearth rate.... but how to?

As I understood I need a lot work on Zone 2, based on FCMax detected from my Forerunner, more or less from 108 to 125 bpm.

I started on december, 10/12 km at 8:00-9:00/km, 2-3 times a week.... on Sunday 8km at higher pace (under 6:00/km, but heartbeat over 160); nowdays (depending from the weather) about 12 km (90 minutes) every day, same 8k on Sunday.

To keep FC2 I'm still about 8:00-9:00/km.

Am I too early after just 5 months, or am I doing it in a wrong way?

Thanks.

Top Replies

• several runners told me it was not correct doing this before building an "aerobic base"

They are right and wrong. Building the aerobic base is both a useful initial training focus…

All Replies

• Garmin plans are typically conservative on hard efforts and include some sort of 'base' build up.  This is to increase fitness and condition joints/muscles to a new stress of running more and more... 80-90% of running benefits can be achieved by just running easy to really easy.  more and more benefits by just running more volume (km or hours...).   Then at some point, unless you keep adding additional km per day and week... you will not progress much per month.  So... adding intensity and strong workouts will help form, strength, efficiency and increase fitness! 

If you have been running consistently and mostly 'easy' since december, you definitly should be able to start adding some intensity and workouts (make sure efforts/paces are based on your current fitness , garmin should account for that).  Your HR zones and max HR should be based on a TEST not just observed max from casual or moderate running!  This means you need to warmup really good... then run some full effort 105% effort intervals up a moderate inclined hill with the last one as hard as you can!!!  look up max HR test intervals .  if you aren't gasping for air, hard to see, blurry , etc... add 5bpm to what is seen.  Make sure you are using a HR strap (chest/arm) or that your data looks good (really goes up and down in line with your effort without weird spikes/dips).  Use that HR... and keep an eye on super hard workout HR's (especially if warm or done in the afternoon when HR will be higher than in the AM).  Look at HR at end of 5k or 10k finishes when you sprint for the last 500m etc .  Raise if you spot yourself with higher HR.

If doing easy runs and long runs - aim to keep in the 67-80% of max heart rate .   Short recovery runs ...maybe 60-70%

• several runners told me it was not correct doing this before building an "aerobic base"

They are right and wrong. Building the aerobic base is both a useful initial training focus and the result of training.

Everybody has an opinion about the best way to train. Every coach has a philoshophy about it as well. There are myriads of options and schools of thoughts, research, fads, modern and traditional approaches.

In the end, you have to believe in your training. If you have doubts about it, follow another plan.

Training can improve "marginally" your time, maybe increase your speed for that distance by 5% if you are well trained, 15% if you are untrained, maybe more, but 100%, not.

The younger and the less trainined, the higher the potential for improvement after training.

That said, you cannot go wrong by following the Garmin Coach plans.

Pick a Garmin plan based on your objectives; That is typically a distance. Then, if you are a beginner, choose a training plan focused on completing the distance. If you are not a beginner, choose to complete the distance within a certain time *based on your actual experience*: 

If you are a beginner or above 40, I recommend you pick a training plan from Jeff Galloway. 

Alternatively, follow the daily suggested workouts. Just like the Garmin Coach plans, they will automatically get you to the right training balance and sequencing, and reflect your level of performance In addition to the Garmin Coach plans, they can suggest biking and running workouts, and adapt more accurately to your existing training level (Garmin Coach plans always start you from the beginning, even if you just completed a plan).