This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Firmware update

When will the beta arrive for 965??, as DC Rainmaker mentions here 

https://youtu.be/B6YtzZCgl-U

• Former Member
    +1 Former Member over 1 year ago

Garmin's pr done their part

quote DCR

Ok, got confirmation the 265/965 public beta got delayed due to some unexpected issues that need to be sorted.

Now slated for week of Jul 31st – (10 days from now).

• The 965 is identical to the 955, except for the display. And the critical reviewer isn’t asking if it makes sense that one gets delayed and the other not?

• Identical? Certainly not in software dev terms. 

Any critical reviewer would easily tell you that the UI’s are vastly different, even if the features are largely the same. Thus such differences can and so hold things up, such as here where there are nearly 30 new added UI animations for the new sport modes when you open up the sport selection, that don’t exist on either the FR955, or the Epix for that matter. And if there’s a delay or issue there, that holds up the release.

A critical reviewer would have also pointed out that there’s value in taking any major issues that crept up on the 955 beta over the weekend, and deciding to fix them first.

Finally, a critical reviewer would remind a commentor that the entire point of beta is to find and fix issues, and further, to have release flexibility on exactly this sort of thing (delaying till it’s ready).

• I work for over 25 years in it. I know a thing or 2 about software development.

Yes, the ui is different and the hardware of the 965 is struggling with it (causing quite some lag)

But the ui isn’t that different than on a epix. And they doesn’t seem to have a problem with the epix. The examples you mentioned, like adding sportprofiles, shouldn’t have a big impact on ui.

Hardware is identical. Or do you really thing there is a different cpu or gpu in those watches. All other sensors are identical. 

I see so much easy ways for garmin to makes things better. I can say it here in forums and garmin doesn’t notice it. Inonly annoy garmin fanboys with it. I can influence reviewers (I do notice the critical reviewer uses some of my observations in his revieuws) in the hope that influences garmin.

• I appreciate you may have 25 years of software development.

But that doesn't change the simple reality that the FR965 and Epix UI's are vastly different. Virtually every single aspect of every single page is different.

To argue that animations for new sport profiles are the same on the Epix exemplifies the lack of understanding of the two: There are no sport profile animations on Epix. Whereas every FR965 sport has them. Thus, adding 20-30 new sport profiles means those need to be created. That's literally one of the reasons why this update got delayed a bit. I'm not sure why Garmin would lie about that.

Now, you can argue (and I'd agree), that it's silly to have different UI designs. I literally did an entire post about the silliness of differences in Epix vs FR965, some 65+ differences at least that I covered.

Also, no, the hardware isn't identical. Screens are different, HR sensors are different, we know other components are different based on power draw demands, etc... Antenna design is undoubtedly different, and on and on.

• But that doesn't change the simple reality that the FR965 and Epix UI's are vastly different. Virtually every single aspect of every single page is different.

I really do hope garmin developers don’t start every ui element and animation from scratch but do use a library for that.

Maybe you look only to appearances, I think of the way it is made.

The differences you mentioned aren’t introduced with the new firmware. The screen of the 965 is the same as that on an epix. Screensize/resolution isn’t a firmware problem. Really. It isn’t. Hr sensor of the 965 and 955 is identical.

(I do value, you participate in the discussion. English is not my native language and I do apologize if I may sound to aggressive)

• Meh.  I can wait another week or so.  The 965 has plenty of features to keep me busy until then.  

• I also work in software dev for quite some time.

I would say, that if UI have such big impact on the development of new features, then our watches software must have been designed very poorly. I hope that is not the case, though.

• Oh well, perhaps another week :-D