This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart Rate Bug, Rapid rise

Since version 4.19 I have the following heart rate problem every other run. The watch always sits snugly and correctly on the wrist. 

Anyone have similar problems?

• yes, having the same problem

• Yes, same issue here!

Please put me on the list as well, thans

• Hello - I am having the same issue as well, primarily on higher-effort runs but also on low-effort or strength training exercises. Attached is an example from my run from yesterday (5k race), where my heart rate suddenly jumped by 25 bpm to ~195. Nothing changed in the race at that point and I did not feel noticeably different, so I am certain this was a bug. I've had this happen on most of my races and have the watch as tight as I can (which did help a little, but not completely).

Agreed with the other posters - for a higher-end watch I would not expect this to be an issue. I never had the same issue with my older FR245M; only since I got the FR965.

• Exactly the same here!

• For me this looks like a bigger problem regarding the HR, not even related to running and not new.
    A few months ago i contacted the support because i had the observation with my fenix 6 pro that the HR measurements were completely wrong when i am walking around or on a hike. I.E. when the watch shows a hr of 100 i often have 70 in reality.
    Support was asking how i checked this and seemed to be waiting for my answer as a trigger for a standard answer: i answered that i compared to a professional heart rate monitor. Support told me that i shall not do that, because the garmin HR-monitoring is not a medical monitoring device... okay, after a short discussion, support told me that i should throw away my watch when i am not satisfied.

One of the big problems i see: because even normal walks are often registered with wrong heart rates (and outside of trainings it is not possible to correct this by wearing a belt) every calculation of the watch is wrong, i.e. calories, training load over the day, recovery...

Now i got a FR965. Here is a recording of a leisure walk in the park. Wrist HR and step rate. It looks as if the watch is trying to lock the HR to the step rate. At around minute 40 i recognized that the HR is wrong. I checked by counting with a stop watch and got 60 instead of the shown 100.

Then i decided to simply turn the watch from outside to the inside of the wrist - and immediately measurement was okay, values changed from around 100 to 60. Well, wearing inside i am not able to see the display, so this is not really a solution.

• I have one easy run with such a sudden and unrealistic HR spike too. In my case it was at the beginning and the HR rose to 180 very quickly. I took out the watch and secured it again which apparently helped.

• All, 

I am locking this thread due to multiple abusive posts. We definitely understand the frustrations caused by this, but we will not tolerate attacks on other users or Garmin employees. 

We are still working on improvements as fast as possible, and I will update this thread when I know more. Feel free to reach out to Garmin Product Support for any further questions or concerns. 

• All, 

Thank you so much for your patience as we've worked on improvements regarding erratic HR data (sudden drops/spikes) during for certain activity profiles. I deeply apologize for the understandable frustration during this time as well. 

This improvement is available in beta 18.20 which was released today. It's currently at a 20% phased rollout. If you do not automatically receive the update, you can manually download it from: Main menu > Settings > System > Software Update > Check For Updates. If you do not wish to download beta, feel free to wait until the live update is released. 

If you are experiencing any new or continued wrist heart-rate issues during activities after 18.20, please start a new thread or reach out to Product Support.

I am locking this thread so we have the best visibility for heart rate data after 18.20.