This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does FR 965 support courses?

I'm using Explore because I cam make new course and upload to FR 955 while fully offline. I can add the course to collection synced with 955, but it will not appear on the device. I have to convert it to track first and sync the track. Does FR 965 support courses?

Also maybe for the same reason the "Go" button in Explore does not show any compatible device to start navigation right away. I have to add to a collection first, sync it with FR and then select the track for navigation on the FR itself. Wonder how the FR 965 behaves. Funny that Go works on Instinct.

• I may be able to try for you, but I am not super familiar with explore, I just import gpx and have my library there. What is the difference between courses and tracks? If you want to share some course I can try.

• Strangely https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=uJZh4J9rF20RVCRNfCtXV9 suggests the only difference between a route and a course is the file format. I thought there is something more. Anyways, Explore allows to create a course. You can create it just clicking on a few points on the map in Explore. Then you'll have a Go option. In my case with FR 955 it does not work.

I can then add the course to a collection synced with FR, but it would not appear on the device. I can also convert the course to a track (option in the three dot menu) and then add to a collection and it will be synced.

I'm surprised not many are people using Explore. It is the only option I know that allows to make a course fully offline and upload to the watch right away. Inreach Mini 2 (and I suppose all newer sat communicators from Garmin) use Explore for messaging, instead of Earthmate. 

• When I create a course in explore and sync it with my watch, the new course isn’t synced and all existing routes on my watch are whiped.

Not the first time I reported this bug. A few years ago it also happened with my old 935.

Garmin really s***s at software development and they show no interest at all in improving.

• Got the 965 today. Just want to confirm that it behaves just like the 955:

- Does not support/show Explore courses

- Draws Explore routes as straight lines connecting dots, instead of following roads

- Supports Explore tracks for navigation

- Does not appear in the available device list when you make a course in Explore and press "Go"

It is sad that the ancient GPSMap64s and Instinct both support the Go button, but FR does not. It is much easier to make a course in Explore simply by clicking on the map (fully offline!) and pressing the Go button. It will upload to the device and start navigating immediately, but not on FR.