This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Always on during activity went AWOL

I have AOD  set as always on during Activity . Generally it has worked as expected (as far as I can recall).

Yesterday I was scouting a local half marathon route using Navigation, Pace Pro and Live Tracking to test them.

For some reason AOD decided it did not want to play along so the screen was black until gesture  - It was cloudy and under treelined paths so the AOD would have easily been visible. I stopped looked on the GC app , toggled the AOD during activity on and off, but it still decided to remain AWOL.

I will see if I can replicate. Did note as Beta Bug in the meantime, as I am on 4.15

Top Replies

All Replies

• I had this same issue during a 60k ultra trail run event this past weekend.

I found that after I backed out to the watch face during the activity (so I could scroll to my hydration widget to log water intake), and went back to the activity, the watch seemed to forget I was in an activity and kept turning the display off. I say that it forgot, because only after I went into the display settings and turned on AOD during general usage, would the display stay on. Toggling the AOD setting for activities did nothing.

So until Garmin fixes this, you can at least try that too keep the display on during an activity. Hope this helps someone.

This is on the latest software 16.17 too, btw.

• Maybe the watch was in Sleep Mode? Maybe for reduce battery drain during activity?  If that mode is on, the watch does axactly like you explain.

• It's a bug I have reported to Garmin. For now the "workaround" is to stop the activity, resume later and immediately resume it.

• Great catch....thanks. I was wondering why display went off during activity....I used hot key to get to watch face..and then as you said it probably though it was in general mode not activity one. Still having issue with backlight setting...on mobile when I change setting for exaple for activity mode...it changes it for general and night time mode as well... 

• This workaround doesn't work for activities that you can't pause, like strength training. The workaround I posted (toggling AOD for general usage) works though, as I just had to do it again while at the gym.

Amazing Garmin hasn't fixed this easily replicable issue in several updates now.

• Amazing Garmin hasn't fixed this easily replicable issue I'm several updates now.

I reported a dozen bugs during the beta testing and none of them was fixed by garmin. Otherd have similar experiences. 

Really don’t know why I bothered to beta test for garmin for free. 

• It's not even just beta bug, the 'stable' fw has as many issues which haven't been addressed

• Please view Screen often dimming, sometimes completely black

My response is still accurate at this time: If your screen's display is auto-dimming to the point where it appears nearly black while outside, please continue reaching out to Garmin Product Support directly. We are still investigating this disruption with high priority. Thank you for your patience and cooperation!

I am locking this since we already have a main thread regarding this topic.