This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Screen often dimming, sometimes completely black

I am currently having two issues with the display on my new Forerunner 965

1. Intermittently, my display will dim so much it is unusable outdoors. I can see the screen indoors and when I go to the display brightness settings it does adjust the brightness but the brightest setting is still too dark to be readable outdoors. The only thing I have found to return the display to normal brightness is to power off and on the watch.
    1. the watch can go for a few days between this happening and there is no pattern that I have noticed
    2. it doesn't recover by itself after waiting for > 2 days
  2. Less frequently my watch screen will be completely black. the only way I have found to resolve this is to press and hold the power button for > 30 seconds, wait a while and then power the watch back on.
    1. the watch doesn't automatically cure itself, it was left for over 24hrs once and it remained in the faulty state
    2. there doesn't seem to be any pattern to when this happens, However it has not yet happened during an activity. 

I am currently trying to upload videos and pictures for support to check this out, pretty miffed that I bought this watch for an event later this month and it is highly likely I will not be able to trust the device to be able to use it.

Anyone else having these issues? found. way to cure? some rogue setting hopefully?

• I have had the exact same fully-black-screen issue several times (after two weeks).

I just got a hpone number to contact support, but thanks for sharing as it always helps to know others have had the same issue. Hopefully this is software for sure !

• Had the same experience with the fully black screen recently , hadn't had it until late last week.

• Follow-up concerning the fully-black-screen issue.

I did contact support, they requested me to reinit the watch (which I did not want to do at first, in the hope that they would upload some kind of logs on my watch...)

Anyway I did fully reinitialized, and after 1,5day, this happend again. I was not in the sun, and even had long sleeves covering the watch.

If that happens to you, the workaround is to turn off the watch (push the upper left button for at least 30 seconds, even if you get the 3 beeps beforehand you need 6 more seconds).

The watch restarted but with the low-brightness issue. I could hardly read.

Anyway keep that restart in mind, so you won't be stuck with no functionning watch 30 minutes before a race !

What I also do to make sure the watch is blacck screen, (but otherwise working) is to press START button twice. As the activity begins I can hear the corresponding sound.

I'll contact support tomorrow. Please post if you have the same issue so that Garmin will take more attention to this problem (hopefully software...)

• this is the exact fault I was having. I am awaiting a replacement after returning my faulty watch. I am hoping this is only going to be limited to a small quantity of these watches.

• I have just had garmin support on the phone.

As far as the person told me, this is a software issue (she was reading the internal dev ticket), and not yet resolved (even in current 4.15 beta firmware). I was added on the email list so that they can automatically inform me when resolved (also if within a beta firmware release). The ticket concerns this fully-black issue, as well as other dimming problems. No current date of release, could take a while, but this ticket is high in their priority range (still according to her).

Let me just add that I have been wearing sport watches from a weel known competitor,.. starting with letter P, and it happened twice to me to report bugs, they never admitted on the phone even when obvious...

Just glad to have switched to Garmin world !

• Thanks for the feedback.

• Yep, similar issue.   Mine dims at 15 seconds.   NO HELP at all from support.   Their answer (Braden), "i can understand you not being able to see the screen but it is working as is expected to work".   ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME!    $600 for a watch I can't see.    

• I am having this same exact issue and it occurred during multiple long rides when I really needed it.  Very frustrated.

• Hi, did you get a new watch and does it work in sunlight? Thinking about sending my watch back as well but wanted to wait and see if any software update would have helped.

• Mine was replaced by Garmin a couple of months ago. I haven't had any issues with the new one so far.